Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #1 
freakumDRESS

What can i buy for my betta for him to rest on?

Besides the zoomed log or leaf. Floating plants? How would he get above the water to go on them? Can i make anything out of household stuff for him to hide in? Can you use black pvc pipes? I know abbout coconuts... How about an upside down greenish wine glass so he can rest on the base?
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 
misamiania

what about coconuts? lol I don't know about coconuts
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

you can use cups as a little cave for him. There is also a tutorial on how to make a leaf hammock on here somewhere..You can also buy them at petsmart near the bettas. My bettas really like the live plants to rest on. His favorite is the anubias, I have it sitting on top of a cave so it is about an inch from the top of the water. I see him resting there all the time.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
freakumDRESS

How much do the anubias cost? Never bought a live plant before. Do they grow in gravel or on pebbles?

Oh, some people make 'coconut caves' for their bettas and put moss on top. Google it. =]

Like disposable plastic cups? Or the hard plastic cups that are dishwasher safe? Or can i use an unpainted coffee mug? Its kinda glossy but i dont think it'll deteriorate and ruin the water.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #5 
misamiania

sweet! I've been eying those coconut caves for awhile but wasn't sure. hehe I know what I'm getting~
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #6 
scootshoot

Just float a live plant with multiple leaves. Here is my boy chilling on his. He loves it during his rest periods as all he needs to do is tilt his head up for air. Caught him in this spot for close to a hour til the camera flash caught his attention and he raced to the front looking for grub, .

Name:  209.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  94.5 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Yep, as long as the coffee mug is dishwasher safe it should be safe for your fishy..I have seen a few mugs in tanks on the picture posts. Just make sure there's no metal or soap residue.. I used a clay pot for a little cave for cleo, you just have to make sure the bottom hole is sealed or you can put a fake plant in the hole so the fish doesn't get stuck in there. Bettas love all kinds of live plants! they are usually 2.99-5.99 at petco. Some local petstores may be cheaper though.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #8 
freakumDRESS

I think i'll use a funky looking wine glass. That'd look so cool. I may go to a petco today... I dunno which petstore. Its usually petsmart or pet supplies plus, i go.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #9 
pumpkinspikepie

Pet Supplies Plus ;D I work at one of those!
For my betta I clipped about a foot of a pothos plant and just floated that in his tank. He sits on the broad leaves. A wine glass sounds pretty awesome!
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Anachairs is good too :3 Cheaper by far than annubias but will die faster...but will propagate faster too... Heh!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote