Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #11 
scootshoot

I have 6 thriving females in my 14 that's been running over 2+ months and I still don't who the alpha is. I added the 6th just over a week ago who is the smallest of the lot, probably 60pct of the size of the females in my tank. They all get along just cozy and school together more than avoiding one another.

Have also modified the tank lots in terms of moving plants and deco around. Have heard this may "restart" the pecking order but have not noticed any difference in terms of aggression or what not.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #12 
KayDowson

how do i make my female the alpha im not sure if im understanding this correctly.
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #13 
Thunderloon

the females apart is a good question

VT will have almost straight back fin rays
CT will have crowns on their fins, most CT are CVT actually.

What you can look at is the shape of the spread of the female tail and the upper fin. Generally CT and VT will have an almost circle of tail form and the upper fin grows up and curves back.

HM will have a much larger spread vertically on the tail and the upper fin will grow up first and keep growing up then turn back. I have a couple VT with this trait but it isn't as pronounced as in HM females.

One of the more common characteristics of the HM is dual and tri-tone fin edges without the edge colors appearing elsewhere on their bodies.

This girl shows the HM topfin but not the multi-tone http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ent=powder.jpg
This girls on this page match the spawns of the boys, you see the gold one has two-tone: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ray-bro...t%20spawns.htm
(wow would I love to have the pair of copper imbellis (peaceful))

AHA found it: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1063
Females... enjoy.

You can see in there how the VT top fin slopes back and the rest shoot out then back.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-28-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #14 
blacksheep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post

Good read. Interesting fact about veil tail being a dominant trait in breeding.
blacksheep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #15 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDowson View Post
how do i make my female the alpha im not sure if im understanding this correctly.
You can't "make" anything. It's a natural behavior, process of letting nature ride its course. Concept is if multiple female betta's are placed in a tank. Usual reaction is they become frisky amongst themselves as they fight over a pecking order. Eventually one dominant or "Alpha" female arises from this group and the overall quarrelsome behavior will drastically lower soon after.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #16 
KayDowson

how long do they normally "fight" for... how long should i let it go on before i seperate them?
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #17 
CrowntailxKing

I interfered only when they were locking their jaws together. Also intervene if one is starting to get badly beaten and won't give up. All I did was stick my finger between them so one could swim away.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #18 
scootshoot

Mine took about a week to calm down. But it was nothing like other posters here whose female betta's were actually locking jaws. None of mine went that far. In fact the only major issue I had in my community sorority setup was a little Red Tail Shark. This guy was so annoying. He took up the whole bottom half of the tank (which I could live with), but unlike the female betta's who would chase one another for brief second spurts and let their targets be, this red tail insisted on chasing my poor female platy for hours on end non stop. She was so exhausted and stressed from this ordeal she would literally hide in a cave for hours until the Red Tail noticed her again and start his nonstop chasing all over.

Luckily Petsmart has a 10 day return policy, I sent his arse back to the store the next day.

Last edited by scootshoot; 03-28-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #19 
CrowntailxKing

Yeah, my tank only has female Betta fish. When they locked jaws together it looked like they were kissing each other and slowly started to sink. It was weird.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #20 
iheartmybettas

I haven't ever experience the lock jaw thing but it usually takes about a week. My primary thing as far as setting it up is LOTS of plants and LOTS of places to hide.

This thread is a few days old so if you already have your up and running I hope it is going smoothly. Sororities can be a little stressful.

If it helps here is a pic of mine. I recently upgraded it from a 10gal to a 29 long so I also added a bunch of females make 11 now. I haven't had much problem with them getting along.
Attached Images

Last edited by iheartmybettas; 03-29-2011 at 01:12 PM.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote