Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #41 
monroe0704

My bettas spawned for over 6 hrs and several of the times they embraced and shed eggs, they both just ate them... So I don't think taking the female out early is that necessary. I'm sure some of the times they embrace they'd actually put the eggs in the nest...

Of course first time spawners are silly and don't really know how to get the job done XD

Edit: Sorry 1fish! I was typing when you posted LOL...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #42 
tokala

Careful about "learning with experience" when it comes to animals- it can be deadly. They don't have a voice, and it is arrogant to think we (not you, but all of our fellow humans) have the power to do what ever we feel like regardless of whether or not it is right. Saying "if I mess up this time, I will do it better the next" is just lazy and a lack of research. Animals will get hurt in the process. If we choose to be pet owners we take on an innate responsibility to do right by them. I'm not trying to jump on you, just a little soap box of mine I guess :) Either way, what ever you learn and try again next time, I hope it goes well!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #43 
grinsinthedark

dramaqueen: I hope so as well.

1fish2fish: I'm not familiar with the abbreviation "OP" at least not what it means on a non-gaming site or non-military view, but I assume it means me. As I said, I give respect when it's due. If it doesn't come, then it doesn't come and those who don't give it shouldn't expect it. People can think of me as they want. Either way, I only come on here to ask questions and that is all.

Well, I don't know the age of the fish since I bought my crowntail from Walmart, my one brown female from Petsmart, and all my other fish from Petco I believe (bought them from all over). I thought about trying to order them online, but I didn't trust it. So I never did. I didn't like the idea of my fish arriving through the mail, imagining how risky it is.

I do suspect that the crowntail is old. He was the second male I tried to breed with. The first one, had his bubble nest broken when the female ran about and he never rebuilt it. So when she had eggs he had nowhere to put them and I tried artificially raising those only to find out he didn't fertilize them. I was going to try him again perhaps later.

tokala: Well, I haven't managed to hatch anything yet, so until I manage to, then I'll know what I need to do next. I don't want to have brine shrimp waiting and never have any fry because they could never hatch. The brine shrimp would die and be wasted. If fry manage to hatch, then I learn that one of my bettas is fertile, and I'll do what I can with what I got to raise them. Of course, I wasn't planning to have them on Hikari first bites throughout the duration of their growth. That is just crazy.

Last edited by grinsinthedark; 03-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #44 
bettafish15

OP means "Original Poster" :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #45 
monroe0704

Most pet store bettas are pretty old and may have hidden ailments at the same time. The majority will advise you not to breed these genetic grab bags lol.

All of my bettas were bought online and shipped. It can get pricy but it's not as risky as it seems :) especially w the warmer weather!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #46 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think most people here who have ordered online have ordered from AquaBid and as far as I know, have never had a problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #47 
PewPewPew

"OP" is the original poster, you- yes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #48 
grinsinthedark

monroe0704: I'll give it a try when I'm not in a dorm. I have 5 fish here (3 males and 2 females), and I got six tanks. My room looks like an aquarium. I'm going to keep these bettas for as long as they live, and when they die, I'll either A) invest in non-petstore fish, or B) buy fancy goldfish because I love them and think they're adorable.

dramaqueen: I saw AquaBid, but I don't know. I just wasn't sure about it since I haven't heard anything about it until now. I thought that by buying fish from the pet stores, I was kind of saving them from having to be in a cup until they die of disease. I hate seeing fish in cups, and I dislike even more how the personnel walk by, see the fish dying, and don't even change the water or do anything about it.
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #49 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsinthedark View Post
I thought that by buying fish from the pet stores, I was kind of saving them from having to be in a cup until they die of disease. I hate seeing fish in cups, and I dislike even more how the personnel walk by, see the fish dying, and don't even change the water or do anything about it.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but when you buy a betta that is kept in poor conditions it's like telling the owner of the store "oh hey, I can do this and still get their money" you know? Another betta will take its place :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #50 
PewPewPew

Make sure your dorm will allow you a large enough tank for goldfish to live properly in, they need large tanks. Mine doesnt allow them because they need such big ones and carry too many gallons.
Just a thought, considering theyre expensive and you wouldnt want to buy and not be able to keep them.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote