Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #51 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know how you feel. My Petsmart does a pretty decent job taking care of their fish.There is a girl there who seems to be more conscienscious about changing the bettas' water, feeding, etc.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #52 
grinsinthedark

dramaqueen: I was almost tempted to put the manager at the Petco near me on the spot because the aquarium personnel clean, feed, and make sure all the other fish are healthy and presentable in their tanks. You go over to the betta section and see all these cups with bettas dying in them. What is so hard about changing water in a cup? Also, what is so hard about feeding them? What is stopping you from making your bettas look presentable? I wanted to grab one of the cups where I saw this one crowntail had died from some disease that had crippled him in a strange inverted "Z" pattern. I wanted to hold the cup to his face and ask him in all seriousness: "Do you really think I want to buy this?" And then just leave the cup there for him to think about an answer as I storm out. I love the youtube video someone made about the fish in Walmart, but oh well, I digress. This is off-topic. Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad the previous issue ended.
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #53 
PewPewPew

I am too!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #54 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about all the arguing.I take pride in this being a friendly forum but it sure doesn't look friendly tonight!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #55 
vaygirl

Shipping isn't really that dangerous. They're shipped to the stores you're buying them from. I've gotten a fish from aqua bid and he arrived just fine. You just have to read the feedback for the breeders, much like eBay, to make sure there haven't been issues.

This past week 1fish2fish sent me a baby female and she arrived just peachy. I always pay for overnight though. I'd be nervous about shipping priority mail. They usually send them with heat packs so they don't get too cold but I think the pack only lasts 24 hours.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #56 
grinsinthedark

vaygirl: I looked at aquabid, and I honestly don't like paying for a $20+ fish when I can get cheaper ones that last the same amount of years. But that's just my opinion.

So, my King Betta and Veiltail Female (the adult one I said I paired with him earlier) had a spawn a few moments ago, and all he did was eat the eggs as soon as they were spawned. Thus, no egg-hatching success once again. Almost all my males, but one because he is young and I don't have a female small enough for him to wrap around (besides the one that got gutted) are failures.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #57 
vaygirl

It can be expensive. The reason breeders here do it is because you can get the genetic history of your fish and have a better chance of knowing what the outcome of a spawn will be. Plus some people breed to IBC standards and they're just not always gonna find them at a pet store. Almost all my fish came from Petco though, so I can go either way. :) There are some truly stunning fish at AB. Still, I love my Petco babies.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #58 
YoshesMom

I see not wanting to pay 20+ for a fish thats why I dont have any from aquabid but im also not breeding if I were to breed I would want to start off with the best fish possible hence I would most likely buy from aguabid its like breeding dogs a mute and a mute breed will always make another mutt you get what you pay for
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #59 
grinsinthedark

YoshesMom: I would never breed with $20+ fish from aquabid if I have never breed before because if they die or something goes wrong, then you will have spent $20+ for nothing. I think if I had a decent job that paid me like a government worker, then I would pay for a fish off aquabid because $40 bucks for a Halfmoon won't be much to me. But Petco sells different breed bettas, so I think I'll stick to the store fish despite their "supposed quality." It's easier to save an oppressed fish for $4 and nurse him or her back to health than to buy an expensive fish, and when or if it dies, you'll only be thinking about how much you spent on it. I rather not think about how much I spent on my fish. But that's my opinion on AB.

I'm going to take a break from breeding. It was fun to attempt, but I just don't have the right fish for it. This forum kind of turned me off to it as well because of the previous and unnecessary attack. I'll start over after this semester concludes. We'll see if I'm still into bettas. I might be into the fancy goldfish or buying Pacus because I think they are pretty awesome.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #60 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsinthedark View Post
turtle10: Personally, dude, I think you learn about breeding betta on experience (since every betta pair is different). You can read all the textbooks you want, but trying to breed is the only way you learn, and you learn from your mistakes as I am now. If the betta babies didn't like the fish food I got them, then I would have used infusoria and gotten live brine shrimp from Petco. You shouldn't be telling people to "never breed again." I don't appreciate your advice and I won't take it. So thanks for nothing.

By the way, I haven't achieved the egg-hatching stage yet because if you read what I said, the eggs have never been able to hatch because the males won't take care of them. So I am working with my males to get them to take care of the eggs so that they will hatch, and I'll go from there.

PewPewPew: I'll probably use the plastic bag method since I think cats would dig up the corpse if I buried it.
I didn't say "never breed again". I said not to breed again until you have done the proper research. Yes trying to breed is the only way to truly learn and gain experience, but you have to have the right equipment and foods to start off with. Hikari first bites is not going to cut it, sorry. I am really not trying to be rude or anything, I am just trying to give you info to help keep your fish alive, but you really shouldn't "just go from there". It is very important to have all the food ready to go when breeding

Here are some great breeding links and info on fry food:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=51144
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30005
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65791
http://www.bettatalk.com/breeding_bettas.htm
http://www.bettatalk.com/rearing_the_fry.htm

EDIT: Came in too late sorry, I was still on page 3.

Last edited by turtle10; 03-26-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: posted too late!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote