Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #61 
dramaqueen
Banned

We're getting off topic, again.
I also got 2 fish from 1fish2fish and they arrived safe and sound due to the great packing job Jackie did. They both ate a pellet later that night when I offered it to them.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-26-2011 at 11:40 AM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #62 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
We're getting off topic, again.
I also got 2 fish from 1fish2fish and they arrived safe and sound due to the great packing job Jackie did. They both ate a pellet later that night when I offered it to them.
I know I went back and edited my post saying I came in too late. Sorry
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #63 
grinsinthedark

I am going to say this one last time. So be sure to read this closely since I'm not sure you even tried before. The topic of this forum is: Killer King Betta - No Success on Eggs. People who had read what I had wrote helped me with the Killer King Betta portion, but there is no helping me with males that won't take care of the eggs once they spawn. My males (except one because I haven't had a female to mate with him yet) do not take care of their eggs. If you do not have any advice on how to make the male bettas take care of the eggs, then I am not going to care about anything you say.

I didn't ask a question on fry. I asked a question on eggs. As what happened last night with my current problem being unanswered, the King Betta ate the eggs as soon as they spawned. I do not have female-egg-eaters. If you cannot stay on topic, and give any sort of advice or perhaps if you've experienced this problem - what you did, then do not post irrelevant advice here. I won't care, I won't read it, and I won't take your advice because it has nothing to do with my current problem.

As I said, I am not going to worry about fry because I have not got to the hatching stage. My betta males have these problems and so I won't be there for awhile. If you don't like that, then get over it. Stop posting here. I'm not taking advice on fry care. Let me say that again, I'm not taking advice on fry care. I'm not taking advice on fry care. I hope that is clear.
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #64 
grinsinthedark

So I found the answers I was looking for after searching Google and saw on Yahoo! Answers (of all places) experienced Betta Breeders explaining that the reason why my males are acting the way they are is because: 1) They are either too old and frail to take care of the eggs (which is untrue since my crowntail male took care of the first batch, but when they had a second batch he stopped taking care of them - also perhaps the female helping him put the eggs in the nest, discouraged him from taking care of the eggs), 2) The male is inexperienced and I am to try them again later (thus this explained why my king betta ate the eggs instead of took care of them). As for the bubble nest breaking incident, I can't say much about my roommate's male betta since he didn't get a real chance to show how good of a father he really is.

Now, I recommend that this forum have a stickied section for common betta behavior (problems) during breeding. That way questions like: "Why is my male eating the eggs?" "Why isn't my male taking care of the eggs?" and other problems, another I saw "Why is my female eating her eggs?" Or "Why is my female laying eggs without the male and then eating them?" can be answered. You guys are so concrete and straight by the books as you collect your research from "other" betta-raising sites, but as far as when it comes to experience when problems arise, not many of you could assist me with my problem because you didn't know anything about it. Instead, you talked about fry, which wasn't a part of the question.

I will give some props to monroe0704 for hinting at the age being a problem, but I don't think there should be any distinction between "store bettas" and "aquabid bettas" because they all come from breeders.

Another good question: "My male's bubble nest broke and the eggs fell to the bottom of the tank. What should I do?" Artificially raise the eggs. Someone helped me in the past when I asked that question, and a thread explaining how to properly raise eggs artificially would be nice. Perhaps I'm not seeing these threads? But I didn't see them stickied at the top.

It was just funny how someone earlier in the discussion was claiming that there were so many experienced breeders on here yet none of them could answer those two simple questions I had. Instead, this thread was about everything but my male bettas' behavior. But any who, I hope that helps improve this section. Betta breeding is never flawless. Problems can arise. Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean they don't happen. If you were inexperienced in that area, then not posting to this thread would have been the best thing. I would have rather had people who have had these problems before assist me, than to go off on tangents about raising fry.

I won't be getting back into breeding until the end of the semester. I want my females and males to rest for awhile and heal. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask, or heck, I might just ask Google since I didn't get much help here.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #65 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that part of the problem here is that members who have never bred their bettas (and therefore, don't have experience) are answering questions.Or trying to. We do have experienced breeders here but maybe they were reluctant to post since this thread has turned so nasty.I try to let the more experienced members answer questions since I've never bred bettas before. All I know is what I've read in books and on here. I have to agree with you, people who don't have experience with whatever problem a poster is having shouldn't try to answer the question. Every situation is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #66 
Luimeril

i've had a month-old fry shipped to me, priority, and she's thriving. it wasn't my choice to have her shipped, i wasn't expecting it at all, but she arrived to me, happy, healthy, but a tad hungry.

when i start my dalmatian line, i'm gonna hafta get two pairs shipped to me. i'd rather not, but it's impossible to find orange dalmatian Halfmoons and Halfmoon Plakats here in the states in pet stores. >3>;

but, it's up to you. just keep an eye out on how the fish look before hand, make sure there's no tumors, spots that could become tumors, or horrid dips in the head/bent spines, and i say why not breed them? :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #67 
grinsinthedark

dramaqueen: Well, I'm just saying, I have every right to feel disappointed and slightly angry because I was criticized for talking to a PetSmart representative because that guy I spoke to didn't know anything about bettas as stated by a supposedly "experienced betta breeder" on this site. I came here like a customer in a pet/aquarium store, and I asked about my male bettas' behavior. All the experienced betta breeders on this site, at that moment, were now like that PetSmart representative, someone who is supposedly experienced in fish care. Before the thread even became nasty, only one question was answered, but not many knew how to answer the others. They gave me random and irrelevant answers. Bravo. You just became like that PetSmart representative; that guy you (rhetorically speaking not really saying "you" dramaqueen since it obviously wasn't you who said that to me) said didn't know anything about betta fish. It's just "wow." Some people look at themselves pretty high up there.

And then, people trying to discourage me from breeding and claiming that I don't know how to take care of my fish and that my fish are unhappy when they don't even know what I got going here. I don't really care to share because I want them focused on answering my questions and not talking about something as irrelevant as "fry care."

This site is trying to promote the beauty and fun of raising bettas yet all I got was people trying to make me feel like I'm some murderer or I don't know what I'm doing when I've had these bettas since December. They are happy fish, and I love seeing their different personalities because my Red VT is the most pickiest of them all. I even talked about this site with my friends and everyone's reactions to my questions, and they pretty much said I shouldn't have even bothered to ask my questions here. I might have been happier to avoid betta zealots because more than likely they would make you feel disappointed, angry, and make you feel like you don't know what you're doing.

I haven't got a chance to really "do" anything yet because I was trying to figure out my males' behavior. But seriously, I am very disappointed because I was so interested in bettas before I came here. Now I feel turned off to it. I feel so turned off that I feel like giving my betta fish away to the others in my dorm. I have a few interested friends that would gladly take one of them.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #68 
Luimeril

many on here have been given false information from the fish people at many pet stores, namely Petsmart and Petco. that's why they often say "don't listen to the employees at Petsmart/co", because not all of them know what they're talking about. they'll tell you about how they had a male and female living in a too-small tank, and they were happy and played "tag" alot, when we all know that they weren't happy and weren't playing at all.

as for fry care, that's VERY important. it may not seem like it, since you haven't gotten past the spawning stage, but you do need to be prepared in advance for any fry you get. that's why they ask you questions, like if you have fry food, or how big your grow out tank is, or if you have jars ready for when the fry get older. it's better to know the stuff beforehand, instead of being ill-prepared when it does happen.

i'm really sorry you've had such a bad experience on here. the people here are actually very nice people, the nicest you'll find, in my opinion. they just want to make sure you're ready for anything, i'm sure.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #69 
bettafish15

No one meant to discourage you from keeping bettas, enjoy your little guys!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #70 
grinsinthedark

Luimeril: As I stated above, they were no different than the PetSmart representatives they criticise.

You're missing the point. I didn't ask about Fry Care. I never asked about Fry Care. I'm not saying it's not important. I said I didn't ask about it. You don't ask how to do this math problem and someone tells you how to prepare for a math exam when the current problem is the math problem. My current problem was my males' behavior. Not Fry. Why was that difficult to understand? Why is that still dfficult to understand?

That is why I said I didn't care nor was I going to care about what people said about fry care because that wasn't my question. If you don't answer peoples' questions, you frustrate them. Try to focus on sticking to the point of the topic, the point of what people ask. If they ask to know other things, then go from there. Avoiding their questions all together to talk about something they never asked about will lead to harassment and negativity.

I beg to differ. Despite that they must speak within the rules of the site and not curse or show any form of direct attack on another member, it is very easy to see uncivil behavior. So I'm sorry I don't agree with you. Maybe if my question had been about "fry care" I would have seen something different, but it wasn't.