Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #71 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm very sorry about all this. It shouldn't have happened. Not all info provided by petstore employees is garbage. I have run into several knowledgeable people at my Petsmart. I'm very sorry that this experience has turned you off to bettas. I had someone on another forum to criticize me a couple of years ago about the size of the containers I was keeping my fish in.I had them in gallon containers and I was told by someone who later became a mod there that I was abusing my fish. That kind of crap is unnecessary.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #72 
Luimeril

well, i saw many suggest reasons your male may be so aggressive. o.o it was just all lost in the arguing. some suggested you may be conditioning him wrong(not saying you are!), some suggested giving him other outlets for his energy, ect. x-X

either way, i hope you can get a good spawn from him. Kings, though, confuse me. is he a Plakat king, or a Crowntail king?

dramaqueen: i've had that happen to me on another forum, too. that's why i stopped posting my fish there. x-X it sucks when you're attacked like that, even though your fish are happy and healthy. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #73 
grinsinthedark

dramaqueen: Yes, you can see that whole "10 gallon tank vs. 1-2 gallon tank" arguments all over youtube and any other discussion forum about fish. It all depends on what your fish prefer to me. My fish didn't like the ten gallons since he hung out near the top of the tank any way. They're shallow water fish. If he wants to swim down, I'm sure he prefers to swim down a few inches and not a foot. He also prefers easy access to the surface. I wouldn't even fill a ten gallon tank with ten gallons. It would only be filled up 1 to 2 gallons and its length to allow my fish more room. For one fish though, I find that a waste of space. But some people only get 10 gallons when they put other fish in there. I don't put other fish with my betta. He's territorial and enjoys his space and knowing how much of it he has.

Luimeril: Plakat King. Yes, I felt the King Bettas are strange when it comes to behavior. He is actually very smart. When the female was hiding behind the plant, he figured out how to move the plant to get to her. He is also one of those fish that can jump from one tank into the next if you don't put a lid on it.
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #74 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have anything with mine, either. Bettas are solitary fish and do not get lonely or want "friends". IMO all it does is stress them out to have tankmates.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #75 
1fish2fish

I'm trying to stay off this thread because I thoroughly don't agree what's going on here but I would like to throw out one tidbit of information.

King bettas are no different genetically from a normal sized betta. They are just bred to be large. What makes kings large is entirely separate from what makes a Giant betta. They also do not exhibit different behavior patterns from normal splendens so if yours is it is atypical.

The fact that your fish showed that much aggression is worrisome to me and personally I would not breed a fish that aggressive.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #76 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsinthedark View Post
The topic of this forum is: Killer King Betta - No Success on Eggs. People who had read what I had wrote helped me with the Killer King Betta portion, but there is no helping me with males that won't take care of the eggs once they spawn.
When I got back to this thread, everyone was arguing. So I stayed away and will most likely stay away from such threads.

I didn't realize you were expecting an explanation about males not caring for his eggs..... I know you've found the answer else where, but here is mine (which most people don't like to hear)....

Some males are simply BAD fathers and are very difficult to breed. Further;
1. The eggs might not have been fertilized.
2. The male may not be healthy enough - needs conditioning
3. The male is an egg eater and will always be an egg eater thus you must artificially hatch the eggs (take out both male and female once spawning is complete).
How to artificially hatch - read http://www.bettafish.com/newreply.ph...reply&p=629852 "raising spawn section".

My method: move eggs slowly into a bowl with about 2 cm water. Make sure the water is ideal (temp and everything). Try to keep the eggs apart (not bunched into one). Don't worry about the ones that sink. You can add anti fungus if you want (I don't - because I only want the stronger ones to hatch). (If eggs were fertilized) In a day or two, they will hatch. Remove the bad eggs (fungus). Add more water - 2 cm or so (Do this daily until there are no more bad eggs or dead fry). My success rate is between 60 - 90 %)

Warning: IMO parents will pass on behavioral aspects to offspring. Thus your offspring may become future egg eaters.

Quote:
Another good question: "My male's bubble nest broke and the eggs fell to the bottom of the tank. What should I do?"
The bubble nest will always eventually pop. How long they last depends on the thickness of the water surface. If you use an air pump, they won't last too long.

If the male isn't taking care of his eggs, there's nothing you can do but hope for the best - hope that eggs/fry can survive on their own.

I hope I've answered all of your questions.... Good luck in your future breeding.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #77 
grinsinthedark

indjo: This was very helpful. Thank you. I will remember to try and artificially raise them next time. I did it the first time, but they must not have been fertilized because they never hatched or even developed. That was with my roommate's male. My King Betta is, indeed, the egg eater. If I'm lucky, I can get to the eggs that fall to the bottom, but at the time, because I felt as soon as they hit the bottom, they're kind of done for because they become exposed to any bad bacteria that might be down there (despite me trying to siphon the poop out as much as I can). My King Betta poops a ton. But yeah, I'll pick this up when the semester is over - so sometime in May. I'll be home, and I'll be able to move around better. I want my female to rest.

I do have one more question because it was a thought I just had at this moment. When my other female, she's a brown VT, had babies, she had over 100 and then she deflated. So she's no longer bloated. My Green, Blue, Black VT female (the one who breed with the King and the Crowntail) is still bloated. She didn't spawn a lot of eggs. The first time with the Crowntail, she spawned about maybe 30 before she ran dry and began popping one every few embraces. With the King, she spawned some. I didn't see because they mated when I went out for food. When I came back, there were about three eggs that had made it to the bottom. I don't know how many she had because the King Betta eats eggs. But my question is: Is it okay for her to still be bloated? What will happen to the eggs still inside her?

Oh yeah, you're link doesn't go to the thread you specified just to put that out there.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #78 
1fish2fish

If they're not fully spawning they're probably not conditoned enough. Conditioning is essential to good spawning. What is your conditioning process?

The eggs she didn't drop will either be reabsorbed or she'll drop and eat them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #79 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry about the link. I may know about bettas, but when it comes to comp.... that's a totally different story.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about whether the female is still bloated or not. Like us, these fish have different form - some thin and long while others are shorter and fat (or at least they look shorter). If a female is never bred, they will either release unfertilized eggs or absorb them (like 1f2f said). So are left over eggs if the spawning was never completed. Again, nothing to be concerned about. But I do agree that they should be properly conditioned with nutritious food.

I don't know what triggers egg eating. Most egg eaters I've had remained egg eaters most of the time. But I had some that didn't always eat their eggs. So I'd give them a second chance and see what happens. Try to use a more natural set up - with lots of plants. Try not to disturb them too much and make sure the area above the nest is always covered with something dark.

Regular bettas won't eat all the eggs at once so you can still artificially hatch the remaining eggs. But I'm not sure about kings. I have never siphoned/netted eggs out while they are spawning. I always had eggs left in the nest and scooped them out. So I'm not sure that will work. Oh, you don't have to worry about eggs hitting gunk. Just try to keep the floor as clean as possible.

This is only a suggestion, I have never tried this. If your betta immediately eats the eggs upon their release, you won't have much left (if you use the king). You can try using very shallow water (about 2 - 4" of water). Place a mesh or something on the tank floor - below the nest. So when eggs are released, the pair can't get to them. After they're done remove the parents and the mesh and hope for the best.

Good luck with what ever method you decide to use.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #80 
grinsinthedark

I will confess that I didn't have the right food to condition them with. I would have got live blood worms to do it, but I never did since I'm at a university with no form of transportation to the pet store and back (I'm lucky if I can get my friends to take me). I thought I could have tried increasing their feedings, but I guess it's not the same as live feed because of all the juicy protein.

I had an accident some time ago. When I said I had stopped trying to breed, I was changing the tank water of my crowntail, and I had accidentally put him in the same tank as my female. I had forgot I put her in there because for a few weeks, I didn't have any fish in that tank. I thought I had put her in the tank next to it, but apparently I didn't. I even thought I put the male in the tank next to it. So I cleaned his tank and then when I was going to get him, I saw that he was the only one in there. And I thought, "Oh, well he can stay in there then." The female was hiding!

So for a whole day the male and the female were together. I woke up the next morning (and I think this was Friday) and my roommate told me if I was planning to try to breed the crowntail and the VT again, and that is when it hit me. I got out of bed and went to the tank and saw them both in there. He had made an impressive bubble nest, but I didn't want her breeding anymore. So I immediately took him out and put him into the tank next to it (as I thought I had done). What I didn't realize until just some moments ago was that she was badly injured. My tank didn't have a light so when I checked to see if she was harmed all I saw was her damaged fins. She was also swimming okay. But today, I found her having crashed like a plane at the bottom of the tank. Her belly had been ripped out.

I have two belly-ripping males. She's not even a small female. She was my largest and he still was able to rip her tummy out. This wasn't my King Betta, but my crowntail. Or who knows, when I had her with the King Betta, he could have just softened her up with his bites and when the Crowntail nipped her, he actually damaged her.

I got one female left, but yeah, I am not going to breed her with the Crowntail or the King Betta in the future. Those two are done. I plan to give them away to some students in my dorm because I can't believe how aggressive they are. If I do plan to try and breed again, I am going to be more prepared. As I said, when I'm back home I'll have my car and can get everything I need. I have a Petco down the street that I'll get some live feed from.