Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #81 
Luimeril

be careful who you give them to. since they're so aggressive, they might get the bright idea to.... do some very bad things with them. >.>; not saying they will, but some people are like that.

i've very sorry that happened to your female. D: i've honestly never heard of bettas doing that. those two must be super aggressive, then. D: single-fish-only tanks for them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #82 
grinsinthedark

I do have them all in separate tanks. I had six fish, and I think ever since the first female died, I had this one extra tank with nothing going on in it. I think it just messed up my routine. Well, the one owner I was going to give my crowntail to has had a betta before and she came to me asking for one since her last one just died. She had him for most of her college experience. So, I'm sure he'll be fine with her. I don't know who will want the King Betta though. He's not as appealing as the crowntail, and someone would have to like big fish because his name is "Big Boy" for a reason. My roommate calls him, "Bull." lol
grinsinthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #83 
Luimeril

what i meant was, no community tanks for those two. sorry if it wasn't clear.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #84 
grinsinthedark

Oh, I don't put other fish with my fish. If I'm going to have a community tank, it'll be a tank with "0" bettas. I wouldn't even put a female in there. My first female was a very aggressive female. She wouldn't be able to get along with anything.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #85 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about both of your females.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #86 
grinsinthedark

I know! It's crazy. I really was planning for her to be alone and happy until I finished school, and then this happens. I have no more pretty females lol. I'm not hating on the last one I got. It's just she's doo-doo brown. I had selected her from the store because she had the vertical bars and she's successfully given birth and had no issues with the males. If I do plan to breed again later, it will be with her and my nice red VT. He's a very gentle male from what I've seen. He's so good that the female can swim around him just fine without feeling scared. Of course, he'll do the peck and chase, but he's not a violent male really. He's very pretty too. He's crimson with gold scales speckled about. And he has these pretty gold-coin eyes. My roommate doesn't like him because when I bought him he was suffering fin rot from inside his cup. I didn't know much about fin rot then. I only chose him because he chose me by flaring at me and doing a dance. But his fins are still long and he's pretty. So who cares what my roommate says -_-
Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #87 
Luimeril

hey, my favorite betta is 'doo-doo' brown! LOL she's a HMPK dragon, but marbled away her shiny green-blue scales. you never know what the brown ones'll produce. :3
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #88 
reaper0325

Enough with the bickering!
It is the nature of siamese fighting fish to quarrel, and it is the nature of human beings to love.

I am a talented noob breeder from south-east Asia. I use none but egg yolk and vinegar eels, but I grow my fry healthy.

Now, about breeding, my advise is use Indian Almond Leaves. It makes even the most aggressive males believe that it is time for breeding and raising young.

Also, isolate both male and female 2 weeks before breeding. Don't let them see other fishes. Let them see each other only for about a minute each day. Be sure that there is also Indian almond leaves in the container where you isolate them.

As with the egg eating, just let them finish what they're doing. You might think that all the eggs are eaten, but just leave the male with his nest. After two days, check and there might be fry in the under the bubbles. In one spawn, I was certain that the male wasnít picking up the eggs, and the female was eating them from the tank bottom. But I just left the male with his nest, and after 2 days, I was surprised to see scores of little tails hanging from the surface.

Once again, isolation and Indian almond leaves. 50% guaranteed to set your fighter in the mood.

Love and peace to everyone!
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #89 
grinsinthedark

Luimeril: lol I'll take your word for it.

reaper0325: Oh yeah, I forgot all about the egg yolk. I saw that being used before. I just didn't think about it. I'll take your advice. Indian Almond Leaves only cost $2.55. But yeah, after the semester ends. This is my last semester and I have one last project. I want to get out of this blasted university!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #90 
reaper0325

Another tip to avoid egg eating:

Cover the aquarium with a dark cloth. This prevents the fishes from seeing what ever is happening out of the aquarium. A person who comes close to the glass might spook the fish. The fish might think that the person looking very close at the nest is predator. It might eat the eggs to reuse the protein for future spawning.

Provide a hole in the cloth where you can peep every once in a while to check on your female. Donít make the hole too obvious to avoid disturbing the pair.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote