Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
lalalaura

Something wrong?

I've noticed my 1 and a half year old male betta's gills look red, almost raw. I have Bettafix but I've heard this stuff can be harmful so I'm reluctant to use it.

He is all blue so when this first started it was really noticeable. He isn't acting any different so it isn't worrying me too much but I'm just wondering what if anyone knows what this is and what I can do to make it better.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
turtle10

Please answer these questions so we can help you:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 
lalalaura

Oops, new here and didn't realize. Sorry.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 70f
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, started looking for a heater suitable for this tank size but no luck as of today.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freezedried bloodworms and betta flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once per day, skipping a day here and there.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually 50%, sometimes 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, and a little bit of aquarium salt (way less than it says to ad on the directions on the package)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Red on his gills.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did a 100% water change today. Bought some Bettafix but am reluctant to use it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 and a half years.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaura View Post
Oops, new here and didn't realize. Sorry.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 70f
This is too cold, bettas are tropical fish and require temps in the 76-82 range.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, started looking for a heater suitable for this tank size but no luck as of today.
This is good, try to avoid tetra. Their products typically suck.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freezedried bloodworms and betta flakes.
Bloodworms should only be fed as a treat once or twice a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once per day, skipping a day here and there.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every 1-2 weeks
This is way too little. In an unfiltered 1.5 I would do 50% every other day with at least one 100% per week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually 50%, sometimes 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, and a little bit of aquarium salt (way less than it says to ad on the directions on the package)
Aquarium salt is not necessary.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Red on his gills.
This could be ammonia burns/exposure
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did a 100% water change today. Bought some Bettafix but am reluctant to use it.
Don't use it. It is a watered down version of Melafix which damages the betta's labrynth and kidneys
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 and a half years.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #5 
lalalaura

Ok, I started doing more frequent water changes (50% on Tuesday, 100% today) so I'll do them more often.
I'm glad I'm reluctant to use anything new with my Betta's because I have had that stuff for like 2 months now and have never used it.
If I can't find a heater, will 70F be way too cold in the long run? He has never had a heater in his tank and it's always been around that temperature range. What are the cons of water that is too cold?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 
turtle10

Yes 70 degrees is too cold for now, and it would be really bad to keep him in that temp in the long run. You never want to go below 76 degrees. The cons of cold water is that he will get sick, his metabolism will slow down, he won't eat, he will get sick, and then he will probably die. Right now his environment is not suitable. Animals require a suitable environment to live. He is a warm water fish who is currently in cold water, so it not good for him.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

^ Yes.
They sell heaters everywhere, and many good ones are under $20. I had a tetra heater in my 1.5 (it was total crap, to be frank, I do not recommend unless you can find no others) form walmart and had and still use a 10w marineland heater which works very well. You should, if you dont have one, get a thermometer, too.

It is necessary to get a heater for your fish. Its like not getting any food for your new dog. Its just as needed and if you dont get it...itll die. :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #8 
lalalaura

I've looked at Wal-Mart, Petsmart, and 2 other little pet stores where I live and I can't find anything under 10w. The 10w one was 27.99 .. and I'd need two of them! I want to get them heaters but I can't find suitable/affordable ones.

Petsmart has a 7.5w one online specifically for smaller betta bowls and it sits under the gravel but I haven't heard anything about it and don't want to order it if it ends up being crap.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

If youre going to order online, then order ones that others have recommended... Those heaters tend to be crappy, yeah.
You might be able to get good deals on stuff if you look around good enough online.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote