Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #1 
inspiration5505

QUestion

My brother has a Betta and so do I currently there living in to separate tanks. BUt the two tanks sit beside each other. BUt I have noticed I know people that have many many Betta fish In the same tank. I was wondering how they accomplished it because from articles I have read you cannot put to Betta fish together because they will kill each other. Is this true?

Help Im new at this and I want to be doing a good job.
inspiration5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiration5505 View Post
My brother has a Betta and so do I currently there living in to separate tanks. BUt the two tanks sit beside each other. BUt I have noticed I know people that have many many Betta fish In the same tank. I was wondering how they accomplished it because from articles I have read you cannot put to Betta fish together because they will kill each other. Is this true?

I'm pretty new here so by no means an expert but it is generally not a good a idea to keep them together, unless the tank is divided. You definitely don't want males together and only males and females together for breeding (and only if you know what you're doing). I can't remember what happens with 2 females but if I remember right its not a good mix either. What sex are the fish?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #3 
Abby

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I'm pretty new here so by no means an expert but it is generally not a good a idea to keep them together, unless the tank is divided. You definitely don't want males together and only males and females together for breeding (and only if you know what you're doing). I can't remember what happens with 2 females but if I remember right its not a good mix either. What sex are the fish?

Its good to ask and have help then do something wrong

Females can be kept together in "schools" of 5 (minimum)
but males cant be kept with either other males or females.

I have three females in a 5 gal and 4 females about to move into another 5 gal. i can have these numbers because all 7 are sisters (all from one spawn) and grew up together so there isnt much drama between them.
BUT you need 5 or MORE preferably gal for a sorority but its not easy keeping.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #4 
Abby

(ps i have 7 ladies and 10 males, my males are in a custom built tank in their own bays)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

The only time multiple males can be kept in the same tank is if you use dividers to split the tank in half so each betta has its own separate space. You have to make sure the dividers are very secure, there are no little cracks either fish could fit through, and that they can't jump over them. I wouldn't divide anything less than a five gallon.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 03-25-2011 at 01:05 AM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

I have 5 females together in a 10 gallon tank. If they are not siblings, or have been separated for a good amount of time, then it is better to have a 10 gallon tank full of plants and ornaments to hide around because that will give them room to run from each other if things get heated. In a cramped space, there is not much room to run, whereas in the wild the loser simply swims away. Once defeated, the fish that lost will stay somewhat subordinate to the winning fish.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
inspiration5505

There a male and a female. THey are in separate tanks but they are right beside each other. They have to stay like this for a little while longer In-till I get rid of
another tank out of my room. WIll it be okay for the tank to be side eachother or should I move them just incase.
inspiration5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #8 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
There a male and a female. THey are in separate tanks but they are right beside each other. They have to stay like this for a little while longer In-till I get rid of
another tank out of my room. WIll it be okay for the tank to be side eachother or should I move them just incase.
They are fine side by side. My male shared a tank with 2 females (all of them were separated by dividers) and no damage done :)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #9 
Abby

nah thats fine, as long as they are divided they are ok. I seperated the ladies when i first got them because Rayne was a brat and chased i had a 6 bay with one male in a bay each end then the other4 bays left open for the girls to use all the space, no worries there