Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank?
78 degrees exactly
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes - a Tetra Whisper for a 1-3 gal.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Nope.
Is your tank heated?
Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Three pellets per meal twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Two 50% twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
See above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Nutrafin Aqua Plus water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His dorsal and caudal fins started looking a bit ragged, and I just noticed he has red dots along the edges where it's ragged.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Hasn't changed. He's still his loopy self.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I haven't started treating since I don't know what it is. I thought it might have been his new shark cave, that he had been a bit rough with it so I took it out and put in his old plant, but I'm noticing more and more chunks missing from his tail and his fins look frayed.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
None that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
No idea. He was a Petco fish. At least six months old, perhaps.
Uploading a video since my phone doesn't take great pictures and he's too active for me to get a good shot of his tail.

Linky! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN7sJIH1eI

Last edited by gmd1800; 03-25-2011 at 09:56 PM.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #2 
Luimeril

that, my friend, looks like tail biting to my eyes. :d i've seen chunks missing many times in my darling late Dante's tail. i treat it with a dose of aquarium salt(1 teaspoon per gallon, premixed in warm water, added slowly over the course of 30 minutes), and Indian Almond Leaf, if you have any.

tail biting is done for many reasons, the main two being stress and boredom. try turning off the filter for a while, to see if that's the cause of stress, or baffle the filter to reduce current.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #3 
gmd1800

Ugh. That's great. I would get him a bigger tank if I could, but I have limited space. I don't have any IAL - any idea where I could get some?

I just unplugged his filter. Let's see how that goes.

Forgot to mention that the biggest chunk (the top part of his caudal fin) has been there for about a month. He had an unfortunate run-in with a net. However, the rest look very ragged.

I plan on stopping by Petco and picking up some aquarium salt.

If he's bored, what is the best course of action? I could get him a floaty toy and see how he likes it. Opinions?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
Luimeril

there's a pretty good seller on ebay for it. if you can't get any, naturally fallen, dried, chemical-free oak leaves, or decaf green tea bags, works just as well.

i'm sure that chunk'll heal up soon. it's taken my veil, Cup, a while to heal his rips, after a plant shredded his fins. he still has a huge gap in his tail. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
gmd1800

I'm thinking that since I turned off his filter, I should step up his water changes. Two 50% and a 100%? Especially since salt doesn't evaporate.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 
gmd1800

http://healthybetta.proboards.com/in...rint&thread=84 - according to this, tailbiting is fairly rare. Is it possible that it's fin rot? I've been doing research and getting conflicted. Some websites say that signs of fin rot involve fin edges that turn white. Some others say they turn black. I'm confused. For the moment, I'm treating Octo with AQ salt when I do his water change tomorrow.

Question: How do I gradually add the treated water to his tank? I plan on doing a 50-75% change tomorrow, so the majority of his tank water will be treated. I don't want to stress him further by cupping him and doing a 100% change. I was thinking adding maybe half a cup every 20 minutes. Do I still use water conditioner?

Water parameters:
pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm. (We have very high ammonia levels in our water)
Nitrates - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm.

His tail is getting stringier. :(

Edit: Found this very helpful article. Seems like it's tailbiting, but I haven't seen him bite his tail, nor can I find remains of his tail on the substrate.

Edit: I'm a dummy. Forgot the link - http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1113

Last edited by gmd1800; 03-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #7 
gmd1800

Octo's dorsal fin is now in tatters. The "rays" are all that is left of his dorsal fin.

I added AQ salt yesterday and my friend got him a piece of styrofoam cup where he could seek shelter near the surface if he wanted. Octo likes it, he hangs out under it a lot. I'm feeling frustrated because it seems like every time I look at him, more pieces of his fins are missing.

I'm starting to think it's not tailbiting but fin rot or something. I already posted his water parameters. Please, I'd really appreciate some help on this. I plan on possibly taking Octo to the AquaShoppes in Greece this weekend and seeing if they can help.

Video later tonight. I have class and meetings until 10.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

I would say that it is either tailbiting or he is ripping his fin on something in his tank. I would not say fin rot. I have always done 100% water changes anytime I am dealing with aquarium salt since they can't process salt. Also after a day or 2 of use you could probably stop using and just do plain water. Changing frequently like everyday or every other day until his fins get better. If turning off the filter didn't help, is he in a high traffic area where he can be distracted by things going on? I know a lot of people have gotten very frustrated with their tailbitters and sometimes you just can't do anything to make them to stop. Did you change anything in his tank lately?
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #9 
gmd1800

I had a shark cave in there. It was a cave with a plastic shark on top. He loved it, and there was nothing on it that he could rip his fins on, but after a few days I noticed his fins looked a bit frayed so I took out the cave since I thought I might have missed a rough spot on it or something. I put in a soft plant I had in before. His fins are still getting worse.

He's on a nightstand in my dorm room next to the bathroom and my female in her tank. I have an open door policy but my residents are used to the fish now so they don't come in to bother them anymore. There's not really much traffic at all. I'm actually considering taking a dark towel and wrapping it around his tank to keep him in the dark more.

100% water changes daily for a few days?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

The aquarium salt is just to ensure any open wounds from the fins coming off close up so maybe use the salt for 2 days and see if they look any better. If not maybe a couple of more days then switch to every day 100% just water changes. Doing constant water changes will cause the fins to grow faster. If you do less frequently it will take a little longer. Maybe put the shark back in? See if that helps. You will probably have to play around with different things he seems interested in to see if it helps. It just depends on the ultimate reason for the problem.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote