Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Exclamation Drastic decline! Please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons, divided, but Zully is in a 1 gallon QT
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but it is currently turned off
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, mesh lid
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided, two Bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets, Betta Buffet Flakes, Frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3 pellets each OR 1 small pinch flakes OR 2 bloodworms OR 3 brine shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? On the QT, 100% daily, otherwise, 50% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% on QT, 50% on ten gallon
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body has gone from royal blue to dull gray, constant stress stripes no matter what I do, fins are laced with red and I have no idea why, it can't be ammonia cause I keep up on changes, and he has fin rot even though I've been trying to treat it with daily water changes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is listless, sits at the top of his tank, can't even stay upright, he ends up on his side
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About four days ago, but it just seemed like ich then, so I moved him from the tank to a QT (He was in the tank cause he was always flipping out in his QT and Mister Fishy II was in QT, so I switched them after a change and put him in the QT Fishy was in after it got a really good rinse in hot water)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Daily 100% changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, I've only had him two weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year, he's from a pet store, so IDK exactly.

I have no idea what to do- it got really bad all of a sudden, now he has white on his mouth and his eyes have gone black, and his anal fin is half gray and the rays are there and about a third of it rotted off even though I tried my best to contain the fin rot and keep it from getting worse... I don't think he's going to make it through tonight, but I don't know what to do. I feel so awful for him, he was doing so well, and then it just got bad really fast.... My poor little PetCo baby :(

He must've had something before he came to me, because Fishy is thriving and he's from my LFS. Zully, on the other hand, is a PetCo fishy....
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote