Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #1 
Harley

Exclamation Ohhh Crap! (kinda long)

Ok I've got a couple things going on with my betta Harley. Firstly, he's suffering from fin rot. His current conditions are:

- 1 gallon bowl
- 100% daily water changes
- eating pellets occasionally, a couple of pellets every 2 days
- I did 1 day of Maracyn powder
- following 2 days of aquarium salt
- Ph is between 0.25 and 0.5
- temp is about 72F

I know the Ph and temp are bad. I'm getting a 5 gallon tank with a heater in 2 days. Unfortunately I have to wait till payday. The temp problem is I'm sure is not helped by no heater. I've heard mixed opinions (mostly negative) about bothering with a heater in a 1 gallon bowl. My house is generally pretty warm (all year long, day or night) at least 78F so I thought all should be good. I did buy a thermometer (glass tube) a few days ago and it was showing 78F. I was a bit unsure about it and exchanged it today. Now it shows about 70F, obviously way too cold!

My question is:

1) I just did a 100% water change (with conditioner) without Harley. The Ph was 0.25. This is right out of the tap and the bowl had been rinsed thoroughly with hot water as with the fake plant. How do I get the Ph down without buying real plants? When I checked the Ph in his old tank it was between 0.25 and 0.5 after 1 day. It seems to be getting worse faster than it should for 1 day or no?

I'm freaking out because I have to wait 2 days until I can get him a tank and heater.He's been ok sometimes. Should i try wrapping the bowl in a towel, i was worried he wouldnt like seeing a solid color and being darker all the time. Usually after the water change he stays at the top and doesn't do much. Around the half day point, he swims around the bowl more but primarily stays
around the top. When I first got him he swam more often and came from the store with fin rot but I didn't realize it until I found this site and had it pointed out to me. Besides what I've mentioned, any other suggestions?

Note to other newbies: get a heater, don't freeze your fish!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #2 
KayDowson

u buy tabs from petsmart to lower ur ph u just drop them in the tank. and in my opinion u should invest in the real plants, u can buy them as bulbs and just drop them in... they kinda take care of themselves after that. as for warmin up the tank i would say put him in front of a window... not so close that he catches the draft jus enough that the sun shine in his bowl and warms it up a little or u can try one of those little space heaters from a distance away. the only thing wit puttin him by the window to sun is that youll have to watch for algae but since ur doin 100% water changes daily u should be ok... hope that helped
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

A pH that is between .25 and .5 is REALLY bad. You don't want to LOWER it...you want to RAISE it. A pH of 7 is neutral, so you want it as close to 7 as you can. if it is .25 or .5 you basically having him swim around in acid. Also, 1 gallon is not that much water and can cause a lot of fluctuations which is not good for fish. More water = less fluctuations. I would upgrade to 2.5 gallons and have a heater made for 1-3 gallons. I have the heater that stays under your gravel and raises the temperature 5-10 degrees (F) higher than room temp. For me, that has helped keep the temperature at a solid 80 degrees (F) all day and night. Hope you little guy will be alright :(
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #4 
Harley

Red face

Hmmm. I don't think I stated this right to you guys, my fault! The kit is called "Ammonia NH3/NH4+ Test Kit". It's made by API, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. The values I gave are in ppm. The directions (if you read them completely, which I didn't till now) say the ideal value is 0. Does this makes sense? So I'm guessing I'm close to normal levels but not quite. I work nights letting the sunlight in isn't an option, just regular houselights, but not much.

Last edited by Harley; 03-26-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #5 
Harley

Oh, I thought raising real plants was kind of a lot of maintenance. Is there a specific/preferred bulb I should look for?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDowson View Post
i would say put him in front of a window... not so close that he catches the draft jus enough that the sun shine in his bowl and warms it up a little
sun is a great algae promoter just an fyi
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

I started aquarium salt 1tsp/gall continue with 100% water change every day for fin rot. I think that is Oldfishlady recommendations. I am not sure if u know the salt treatment can be only 10 days. Also Oldfishlady recommending IAL. Indian Almond Leaves driops pH in the water and hardens the bettas scales,help healing.
I know where u can order IAL if u need this information just LET ME KNOW i will look up for the phone. They like $6 for 5 leaves.

Also i was wondering about water pH. I never had that problem for as long as i have my bettas. Well i never even check level because i never seems to had problem. I am wondering is it because i am using aged water? I just put water conditioner in the water and let it stay for 8.12 or 24 hrs.
Also i thing it not necessary to have 80* for betta. My betta live perfect in a lot of low temperature . I think specially when u treating for fin rot. Fin rot can be fungal or bacterial. And fungus usually get worse with warmer temperature.
I hope ur betta feels better. Keep us informed.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I started aquarium salt 1tsp/gall continue with 100% water change every day for fin rot. I think that is Oldfishlady recommendations. I am not sure if u know the salt treatment can be only 10 days. Also Oldfishlady recommending IAL. Indian Almond Leaves driops pH in the water and hardens the bettas scales,help healing.
I know where u can order IAL if u need this information just LET ME KNOW i will look up for the phone. They like $6 for 5 leaves.

Also i was wondering about water pH. I never had that problem for as long as i have my bettas. Well i never even check level because i never seems to had problem. I am wondering is it because i am using aged water? I just put water conditioner in the water and let it stay for 8.12 or 24 hrs.
Also i thing it not necessary to have 80* for betta. My betta live perfect in a lot of low temperature . I think specially when u treating for fin rot. Fin rot can be fungal or bacterial. And fungus usually get worse with warmer temperature.
I hope ur betta feels better. Keep us informed.
It still needs to be at least 76 degrees minimum.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #9 
CrowntailxKing

No, real plants are not a lot of work :) I have moneywort and arrowroot plants. Also I have Aluminum Plant (That's the name of it...its not made of aluminum lol). Basically anything with large, rounded leaves for them to lay on. Moneywort has small rounded leaves, but they love swimming through it and it can be used for them to hide. Also, on the pH, even if 0 is the ideal, having it slightly above is not always a bad thing, but I don't know ppm measurements.

@BETTACHKALOVE: Betta fish are pretty hardy fish. They don't need a perfect pH, as I said before. I measured my pH a while ago and on the measurements 7 is perfect (neither acidic or basic), but mine was 8. Regular tap water should be fine to use for the most part, unless you get water from a well, a rusty water pump, or just have rusty pipes. I believe if it is safe to drink, it's safe to put a fish in with water conditioner...but I may just be sounding ignorant right now xD
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #10 
turtle10

Are you sure you are reading the ph right? In my test kit the ph measures between 7.8-8. I am not sure how you are getting .5? .5 is basically pure acid. Your fish would be dissolved by now. Are you sure you don't mean ammonia?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote