Ok I've got a couple things going on with my betta Harley. Firstly, he's suffering from fin rot. His current conditions are:
- 1 gallon bowl
- 100% daily water changes
- eating pellets occasionally, a couple of pellets every 2 days
- I did 1 day of Maracyn powder
- following 2 days of aquarium salt
- Ph is between 0.25 and 0.5
- temp is about 72F
I know the Ph and temp are bad. I'm getting a 5 gallon tank with a heater in 2 days. Unfortunately I have to wait till payday. The temp problem is I'm sure is not helped by no heater. I've heard mixed opinions (mostly negative) about bothering with a heater in a 1 gallon bowl. My house is generally pretty warm (all year long, day or night) at least 78F so I thought all should be good. I did buy a thermometer (glass tube) a few days ago and it was showing 78F. I was a bit unsure about it and exchanged it today. Now it shows about 70F, obviously way too cold!
My question is:
1) I just did a 100% water change (with conditioner) without Harley. The Ph was 0.25. This is right out of the tap and the bowl had been rinsed thoroughly with hot water as with the fake plant. How do I get the Ph down without buying real plants? When I checked the Ph in his old tank it was between 0.25 and 0.5 after 1 day. It seems to be getting worse faster than it should for 1 day or no?
I'm freaking out because I have to wait 2 days until I can get him a tank and heater.He's been ok sometimes. Should i try wrapping the bowl in a towel, i was worried he wouldnt like seeing a solid color and being darker all the time. Usually after the water change he stays at the top and doesn't do much. Around the half day point, he swims around the bowl more but primarily stays
around the top. When I first got him he swam more often and came from the store with fin rot but I didn't realize it until I found this site and had it pointed out to me. Besides what I've mentioned, any other suggestions?
Note to other newbies: get a heater, don't freeze your fish!