Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #1 
Torat

Mizu's Fins

Hey there, quick question.

Mizu is my yellow/cream boy. This is him before:

I had been dealing with bronchitis for about a month and a half, and the coughing finally got to me. Went to the doctor, was put on antibiotics, felt good enough to get things done. Cleaned the tanks, cleaned the apartment, voila. I still had a high fever, was coughing harder than ever. That went on for about two weeks - excruciating PAIN. Was diagnosed with pleurisy, then found out all my coughing fractured two ribs. Was put on a bunch of painkillers, another set of antibiotics, and finally got to cleaning the tanks again.

So for two weeks, he had very teeny water changes (like a cup here and there - I simply didn't have it in me) - he DID have a filter and live plants. (Not that it makes much difference, to be honest.)

Well, I cleaned his tank up the other day and in doing so noticed that his fins now look like this:

I put him in the quarantine tank for two days with anti-fungal for potential fin rot. (Thus the green.)

He's not a tail biter, so my concern is if this is just... maybe ammonia problems? Really, really bad water quality?

He's fine otherwise. Super-active, loves his new location (moved into a larger, divided tank in a more active location in the home). Flares, built a HUGE bubble nest. Eating up a storm, very active.

The temperature in the old tank was 79*, it was 2.5 gallon hexagonal aquarium, with a small filter. Had live plants, didn't even bother checking the pH or anything because I just dumped it all on out.

The temperature in the quarantine tank was 80*, the pH was good (the pH of my tap water is messed to begin with, but all of my fish are acclimated to that from water changes [usually] weekly-ish anyway). Again, was in there for two days with two salt baths and anti-fungal. Kept in the dark the whole time.

The temperature in the divided tank (of which he gets 3.3 gallons) is 79*. pH is good, other parameters are good and will remain so as I am feeling much better, now. (Any bad parameters are an immediate water change - these divided tanks are just like a bunch of small tanks in one, in my opinion so I tackle it as such.) It's a good set-up.

If it's NOT simply poor water quality, what is it, and how do I fix it?

(PS: Sigmund was also in a 2.5 gallon tank, with a different filter and his fins are doing A-OK, which is why I'm concerned that this may be more than poor water quality. They went the same amount of time, with the same feeding schedule, same everything. Yes, I realize they're different fish, lol.)

Flaring with all of his "ratty" fins :{

Bubble Nest.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #2 
Torat

Bump, because I'm concerned.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

I'm Having trouble reading this whole post from my phone, but I would say its from water quality. His fins do not appear to be too bad, to be honest. Frequent changes and 1 tsp of Aq salt for no more than 10 days will help. Turn three filter off if possible, as this will help with more even fin regrowth.
Also, add if you can a bubbler our air stone, to inhibit bacteria from growing in the tank, which could cause rot and get worse.
If you can, do 50% changes every o other day for a few weeks, and if you turn the filter off do a 50% then a 100%, after you do the 100%, re dose the salt. If you dont do the 100%, re first after two or three 50%'s.
hope it helps and that I didnt miss too much info in your post...stupid phone.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #4 
Torat

Thank you so much for the reply, Pewx3. I really, really appreciate it.

I'm going to move him into the quarantine tank for the long-term, then. It'll be easier then throwing the filter off in here, and with all the water changes - he'll be near the sink, not 30' away from it, across carpeting (LOL) - definitely better for water changes.

I'll throw in a bubblemaker, I already keep him good with heat and I did do some salt baths. I'll throw salt in the first few days though, just for good measure. It's easier to do the water changes in the quarantine tank, then the bigger tank. Just dump it over lol.

I really just want to avoid his fins disappearing. He's so beautiful, and they really "minted" up. And I think it'd hurt, so yeah.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Youre welcome <3
I do the salt at a tsp/gallon for about three days. No need for baths, etc, anymore, considering his fins appear just tattered. Good, clean and gentile water will do him better than any medicines and what not every could ;)
If you have some, add indian almond leaves to promote relaxation and healing. If not, steep a bag of decaf green tea in a separate cup and to the tank enough to turn it slightly brownish. Try it in a gallon jug to make it easier to add, and make sure its been dechlorinated! :3
The qt sound like a fantastic idea.
Good luck, he's gonna be dandy.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote