Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #1 
Torat

I know it's a boy, but what tail type?

Sooo... went shoppin' a little while ago and Petco got a shipment in so of course they had to clean all their existing water-cups, and I hovered over the little trolly and snooped through the new arrivals.

I have been keeping an eye out for a little girl, because I want another one in the sorority. While looking, I found one - perfect. Perfect size, an unusual color, nice fins, she's gorgeous!

Brought it home, let the Petco medicine do its wonders for two days, then did a couple water changes. The fish seemed lovely.

Until I found a bubble nest. (Woohoo.) In the cup. I thought nothing of it, some females make nests, right?

Veiltail female, on the top, on the sides. I kept an eye on her. No oviposter.

I'm 99% sure it's a male.

Why? Check this:

Again, I'm very sure this is a male fish, but second opinions are ALWAYS welcome. I just don't want another Nikita/Natalya situation in the sorority. No oviposter at all, and what little one exists is SO little it's barely worth mentioning. Builds nests like a dream. And flares like a king.

Some photos:

He was tearing up the cup as I was gettin' ready to put him in the tank - sorry about the nasty poo in the cup - ew, ew. But this is him flaring, at least one that half-turned out. He can spread those suckers wide, he's very intimidating!

Anyway, if I'm right and this IS a boy, what kind of tail-type is he?

Also, is that split in the fin something to be concerned about?

He's stockier than any other mail I have ever had, but he's also much, much smaller. Has a big, fat belly too, but not as if he was bloated.

Opinions appreciated :}
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #2 
ChelseaK

Must be a boy plakat. That flare looks like a boy for sure. I had a similar situation with petco.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #3 
Abby

beard looks male stomach looks eggy to me O.O
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #4 
Torat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
beard looks male stomach looks eggy to me O.O
See, my girls cycle at the same time, lol. They all egg up, then they all drop 'em right around the same time and eat 'em all up like a banquet. Compared to what they look like right before their pressure-cookers go off, he just looks well-fed, if not just ...fat.

Maybe he's just really young? He's really small, like maybe an inch? Maybe a juvenile?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #5 
Abby

yeh to be sure i would put fishy in its own tank till you know for sure, other wise you may end up fir fighting, fin damage or death :(
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #6 
Torat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
yeh to be sure i would put fishy in its own tank till you know for sure, other wise you may end up fir fighting, fin damage or death :(
Had all of the above already with Natalya/Nikita.

Nikita (my fish I thought was a girl but was actually a boy) tore Muriel apart. I posted about it on here, after work got all my stuff - moved Nikita on over, but his own hard-knocks knocked him down, and I think the stress of moving took a toll, too - he didn't make it very long.

Muriel, on the other hand, is doing much better -

The little red fin is broken. It only jerks up and down, now. Those are her only movements - I think it's actually a movement up, and then returning to the original position. And then her scales never came back in right. She's doing better, now.

I'll avoid a repeat of that situation, if possible.

I'm so sure this is a male, though. I'm not even really concerned about the second opinion, but if someone had a valid reason as to why it may be a girl (and you did give one, mind you), then I'd consider it and go forward with that in mind.

So we've got one vote for plakat. Anyone else with input?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #7 
russalka

+1 vote for plakat.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #8 
YoshesMom

petco as much as I love them mislabel betta all the time Ive already purchased a pretty little HM at a VT price which for them is like a ten dollar difference and a Doubletail superdelta also marked as a VT or CT cant remember but much cheaper then I should have paid thats why I check EVERY cup I dont like VT and dont keep them but I still look at everyone for that surprise
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #9 
beat2020

Definitely a boy....Looks like a young delta to me.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

HE is so beautiful! I second the PK, his tail just isn't quite right for VT, even if he had loads more growing to do. He could almost be a HMPK if his fins filled out some more and he had flaring excercise. ;) Sorry, notta girl. Pretty boy though!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote