Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Can fish "faint" ?

I am pretty sure my new fish just fainted. Scared me!
I turned on his light this morning and he was ok...and then I dropped a bloodworm in there to see if would be interested in eating..(he hadn't ate yet since I got him)
Well, He went real fast to bite the bloodworm..then all of a sudden he froze clamped his pectoral fins and did a wiggly swim to the bottom and laid on his side for a minute or two. I thought he was dead...
He is swimming around again though. I have never seen anything like this.
I walked away from the tank for a little bit to feed my other fish, came back and he is now swimming around again.
Is it possible that a fish can faint?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

.. That's... unusual. I have never seen a betta fish... much less Any fish do that before.

I don't have an answer, but I'd like to know too.
... Maybe the food was that good? :D'
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
rex4Fish

My year-old betta has "fainted" twice, once a few weeks ago and for about 6 seconds, then again this morning for about 10 seconds. Both times he had just swallowed his first (of two) breakfast pellets and immediately fell to the bottom of the tank, completely motionless. I thought he'd had a heart attack or stroke or something. When he did start moving, he seemed to be somewhet disoriented but then within a couple of minutes he seems perfectly fine. Very startling never the less.
rex4Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I saw Rose faint. I just saw she laid motionless in the fake plants. it scared me a ton but she got up and swam normally.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 
aemaki09

I've had one of my boys faint before too. It was a few days after I spawned him and he got all excited for his first meal, fainted before he even got to it. I was thinking it was more of a trance, you know, like the kind they go in while wrapping another female?
Nothing to worry majorly about. Keep an eye on him, if his behavior becomes more strange than just fainting (lethargic, physical changes, etc) then i would start to worry that this may be a neurotic issue
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I've had one of my boys faint before too. It was a few days after I spawned him and he got all excited for his first meal, fainted before he even got to it. I was thinking it was more of a trance, you know, like the kind they go in while wrapping another female?
Nothing to worry majorly about. Keep an eye on him, if his behavior becomes more strange than just fainting (lethargic, physical changes, etc) then i would start to worry that this may be a neurotic issue
what's "neurotic"?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #7 
aemaki09

An issue with the brain. I meant to say neurological issue. Some fish have spasms and twitches and its a brain issue kind of like epilepsy and what not.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
An issue with the brain. I meant to say neurological issue. Some fish have spasms and twitches and its a brain issue kind of like epilepsy and what not.
OH!!!!!!! :D now i get it
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #9 
jeaninel

I've had a cory that would "faint". He'd be fine and swimming around then all of the sudden would kind of spasm out and drop to the bottom and lay on the sand motionless for a few minutes. Then would seem fine. It was something neurological because eventually he died.

I also had a Congo tetra that fainted when the fish shop guy netted and bagged him. He was upside down in the bag and I mentioned something to the guy and he said "oh, they do that all the time. He'll be fine." And he was. Still have him today.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #10 
Bluewind

Maybe the fish aren't fainting. Maybe they are having a type of sezure? Food time would be a very exciting time for a little fish and the excitement could trigger one. What do yall think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote