Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 
turtle10

Brace Face Betta

Okay the title is a little misleading, I don't have a betta with braces! BUT I had to get braces on my lower teeth on Thursday and they were KILLING me yesterday so I decided to go to Aquatek to make me feel better.

I don't think I have to tell you guys what happened lol.

I kept being drawn to him, his cute little face was just pleading. Coincidentally, he was kept in the same large 2 gallon vase that Chiquito was when I got him there. Since yesterday I have acclimated him to my water and he is now in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a heater and a ton of java ferns, as you'll see from the upcoming photos. I also put a stem of red lotus (I think) and a stem of anacharis in there too so he can have some floating plants. I am working on getting the temp raised, it is a new heater so I started it at 72 degrees just incase of overheating. I now know it won't over heat, so I am slowly raising it to 76, and then to 78. I plan on doing two 50%s and a 100% every week since there is no filter, do you think I could get away with one 50% and a 100% since there are plants? Anyways, here is my new little man:

PS. I love the way they keep their bettas at Aquatek. This little guy had a clump of moss and some java ferns attached to driftwood in his vase, as well as some of those glass marble things. Every betta there is in at least a beanie box with live plants, some in their own 2.5. That is why I went there, because it makes me feel good to see fish that are being treated well!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 
sjones

Cool. I love the barebottom "planted" tank. Are you dosing fertilizers for the plants?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 
turtle10

Yeah just a little bit. It is the Flourish Excel one.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #4 
Pekemom

I love the bare bottom tank, too. Beautiful betta and lucky he's got you to take good care of him!! Lots of good luck!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 
turtle10

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to do bare bottom because he doesn't have a filter and it makes it easier to siphon the poopies.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #6 
turtle10

Update: Temperature now up to 75.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Cute guy and great tank! It's good to see a petstore that takes good care of their bettas.

Also, I feel for you. Braces are hard when you first get them in. I'm happy it's over and done with for me-but the end result is worth it. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #8 
bettafish15

He's adorable! I used to have braces too, but the end result is worth it :D Motrin really helps for the pain ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #9 
turtle10

It HURTS! But my fishies definitely help, as well as motrin LOL!

I am going to be sooo happy when they are out. My teeth weren't too crooked, but it is going to be a big difference I thing. I can already feel some changes, one side of my lower jaw/teeth feels more open, if that makes any sense. Like my tongue has more room lol.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #10 
gmd1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I wanted to do bare bottom because he doesn't have a filter and it makes it easier to siphon the poopies.
I'm sorry, that made me laugh. :) He's a gorgeous boy. Congrats!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote