Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

I'm stumped as to what is wrong with Mizu

My pretty boy is turning white I don't know whats wrong with him.He is acting fine he is still eating and swimming around and acting like is normal old man self he is not even pale he is just changing colors.I have no clue whats wrong.I have had him for about two years so he has to be almost three by now.I had him floating in a cup in his tank for a little while(about a week) I started with just aq. salt I also fasted him cause I noticed he was a little bloated after two days of fasting he wasn't bloated and was swimming fine,and then I did a methylene blue dip it perked him up alot I just put him back in his tank since he was misrable in the cup and he is acting like he always does he just looks completely different and akward I miss my pretty boy even his eyes look different.
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? around 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes of course
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari and attisons betta food and sometimes bloodworms but not lately
How often do you feed your betta fish? everynight before I go to bed and I fast him one day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? probably once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75% sometimes more, never less
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner occasionally aq. salt not every time though.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I could test I have a master test kit but I did a 100% water change and scrubbed everything before I put him back in there so I doubt the water is bad.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he is turning white and he is not pale cause he almost looks like he is a marble but he is not.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not really espesially after the methylene blue dip he is perked up a good bit.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a couple weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I described it before up top
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he had extreme fin rot when I got him and lived in mucky water but after I treated him up no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost three I think I have had him for almost two years and he was a petstore fish so who knows how old he really was but I could tell he was kind of young.

I attached before and a current picture I took two days ago.Sorry the current picure is a little blurry I can get better ones I just did not want to stress him out to much and it shows what I am talking about.
Attached Images

naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #2 
naturegirl243

Any ideas would help?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

Anyone know why my fish is changing colors? I would love to try to help him but I don't know if anything is even wrong with him.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 
BettaHeart

it could be just hes aging which is why he is changing color
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

That's kind of what I thought, but I have never seen that before or had it happen.

Well this article says they get brown when they age he is deffinatly not turning brown. *Face palms*

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/

EDIT: Wait I found this basically people are either saying don't worry about it or it's a infection.Most of the people are saying don't worry about it though.

http://www.ebetta.com/2009/01/11/turning-white/

Last edited by naturegirl243; 03-26-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #6 
BettaHeart

well if you are truly worried about what it could be then i highly suggest pm'ing OldFishLady

i honestly think its just old age but thats just my opinion.

Hope you find out soon
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote