Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 
hannah16

4 New Bettas & 2 Cories

Welp I FINALLY was able to go toe PetSmart today and exchange Gen & Mango. I had metioned before I wanted to pick up a pasty white dal male, but when I got there, he wasn't really pasty white, just white. (I looked through all 30-40 bettas) But, he was the only dal that looked anything like the guy I saw Wed. I'm not sure if its the same guy, but I'm nearly positive it is. Either way, I'm happy with him. He's a VT, he's rather large for a VT. Once I emptied out most of the blue crap in his water and gave him fresh clear water, turns out he ain't even white. He's a pale samon color. VERY pretty.

I also baught 3 girls. 1 girl has a black face, blue body, and greenish tail. 2nd girl has a white body with gold/yellow decending down into her fins, that is match with a beautiful pale red. The 3rd girl... her coloring is hard to explain, but she is BEAUTIFUL.

I ALSO baught 2 uber cute albino cories!! I was gonna get 3-4 but they are $2.99 each and I don't know if I have the room to be honest. In my 10g I have 6 girl bettas and 2 cories, should I add anymore cories?

I talked to a really smart guy at PetSmart, it was so nice talking to someone whom has knowledge about fish in the fish section! The manager AND cashier looked at me and are like.. "You know that the females put together will probably kill each other right?" I was like ">_>....Don't worry about it. I know what I'm doing." Kind upset me that they think I don't know what I'm doing >____>...

My dad also baught me a 2nd 10g with a heater (No filter) and I'm setting that up for my new dal (Hopefully, I can talk my mom into a few cories for that 10g too, SUCH cuties. My dad and I call them kissy fish.)

So yeah, thats what I have so far. I'll be posting pics in a while, so keep checking back :3.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #3 
JKfish

well, your 10 gallon is waaay overstocked. 6 girls is pushing it as it is. If possible I'd go and get the cories a 10 gallon with the dal (if he is not agressive) and get two more to add to make it a school for them, or I'd return them
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 
hannah16

Really? You think it's overstocked.. Hm.. Well, for now I'm leaving it as it is since I'm not 100% sure my new dal is totally healthy. I believe he is just a bit cold since he was by the door with the other bettas and has brightened up a bit, but I don't really wanna risk it. After a few days, when I know he's totally healthy, I'll switch my 2 cories into his tank. Thanks for the info though. I kind of thought it might be. I was hopeing it wasn't.. but all well.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

When you move the cories in with the dal, definitely get a couple more cories, they need to be in groups of four or more. You will have to get a filter for that tank though. Cories can be more sensitive to parameters.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #6 
hannah16

I'll get the 2 more cories, but I really don't know what to do about Comet & Luna. I didn't add in Starlight since I don't know if she has fin rot or not. As for her 2 sisters, they basicly attacked each other. I pulled out Luna first, and Comet harassed the other 3 no names, then she nipped constantly at my cories (She actually hunted them down!) then I pulled Comet out and placed Luna in and she did the same thing. So I tried one last time to place them together. They started again. I've pulled them both out and placed them in their own cups. Mean while, the 3 new girls I have, are doing really well together, no fighting, glances, once in a while half flare. My darkest girl is curious of the cories, she'll slowly chase them and then she'll get too close and swim away, or when they turn around being like "Girl, why are you following me?" She'll also swim away. I don't know what to do with Comet & Luna. They aren't ment to be placed together. Grr... I don't want to take them back to the petstore either.. I think I have to rehome them. I don't have the money or tanks for them. I don't want them living in cups until I do have the money. So, yeah, I have to do whats best for them.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Wow, beeeeeautiful fish! So glad Dal boy was still there. :D OMG, girl 1 is toooo adorable, so blue and green! Girl 2 is just adorable, white and pink and red. And girl 3... you have yourself a white marble VT girl! :D Sooooo pretty. She's my fave. I second the move-the-cory's-when-you-can. :D I'm so sorry about Comet and Luna! I'd gladly take one, but I can't. No money for shipping! Oh well. Love them though!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 
hannah16

I don't know if I'm rehomeing them actually! I think if I take really good care of them for a few days in their cups, I'll be able to get 2 dividers and divide my 2nd 10g (Sorry samon dal D:) and get my dal a 1g or something. I really don't wanna let my girls go D: Their so great.. Everyone says you NEED 5 or more girls, well I have 3 in there with my cories, I'm not really worried. Those 3 are really sweet.

Don't know what I'm naming my dal or my blue girl (Ugh I love her. She is so adorable.), but I think I'm a name my red cambodian Rasberry (AKA Raz, Razzy) and my marble girl.. I don't know yet. She is adorable though. When I saw her in the blue water I was like "I don't know... You could be a double to Comet." I get her home and place her in clear water, and she is SO diffrent. They are similar, but for sure not anything a like. Any name ideas :3?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #9 
JKfish

A sorority of six is overstocked as it is, but with sororities, better to overstock than understock. Keep in mind corys grow to about two inches in length, so they are about the same as a betta. Get that tank set up as quickly as possible. If you must, get the cories into the 10 gallon and get them two more friends, and have your dal floating in a qt tubberware in there until he is better; this way he can see and interact with them the whole time so you'll have an idea what to expect when you add him.

as for your sorority, expect fighting the first two weeks or so. it's normal. Only remove them if it gets out of hand and worse than fin nipping.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #10 
hannah16

I had to pull out Comet & Luna. They were stalking out my other girls and cories. Plus they both litterally snipped into each others lips and stayed like that and kep ripping at each other. They both have fairly bad snipped into fins. Other 3 only have 1 or 2 little bits missing. I think I want to get 1 more girl.. maybe.. later.. I don't know. After what happen to Luna & Comet, I'm unsure.