Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
ollief9

50 gallon tank!!!!! Wow!

I got enough money today (my birthday) to go buy a 50 gallon fish tank with all the stuff! I'm so happy!

Basically, I've been needing to get a larger tank for a while now because a couple of months back I was given an unwanted fish tank to me by my friend. It was pretty dirty (10 gallons) and was dangerously overstocked, with a 10 inch 8 year old Common Pleco, which obviously urgently needed a larger tank. I was going to rehome the pleco, but my parents grew attatched to it and my mum insisted we kept it.
Recently I've been saving up for a larger tank to put the now much-loved Pleco in, but I never thought 50 gallons (200 litres)!
Today was my birthday and I got quite a lot of money from my family, so dad took me to the aquatic centre which had a 25% sale off everything (!) and we came out with..
+ Fluval Roma 200 tank with stand
+ Aqua One Aquis Advance 750 Canister filter
+ Very fine black gravel
+ two large pieces of bogwood
+ Loads of other stuff (food, water conditioner, etc.)

Only problem is, my mum threw a wobbly when she saw how big the tank is, and spent the rest of the afternoon ranting about how big and ugly it looks. I and my dad think it looks great, however.

It was a bit stressful setting the tank up, especially trying to transfer a 10 inch pleco with a very bad attitude to a completely new tank, but we got there. I put the filter from the old tank into the new tank so the bacteria can transfer into the canister filter. Now, I know I should fully cycle the tank, but I just couldn't bear to see the poor pleco suffer any more.

So here it is. It's still settling - the tank is quite cloudy (inevitable with black sand and bogwood) but it should settle down over the next few days. I plan on getting a few more fish once it's all established, and I will be posting pictures from tomorrow.

Thanks! Bye.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Wao! Congrats... and Happy Birthday!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 
ollief9

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
kathstew

aw this sounds so awesome! Congrats on getting the super huge tank, LOL

I am sure the pleco will be very appreciative once it realizes once you've done! LOL
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

That's a big tank. I hope you'll share photos when you get everything set up.

So how tall and wide is your tank? I can't imagine the size of that. Do you have a special stand for it?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #6 
ollief9

It has a special stand with it, and the tank size is 100x40x50 cm (Roughly 40x15x20 inches).

Here are a few pictures showing all the equipment in the tank, the fish, the decor, the stand, etc. Unfortunately 2 out of 3 Black Skirt Tetras (from the 10 gallon) are suffering from severe Dropsy, and they're having a hard time swimming, so I'll let nature take it's course over the next few weeks (I don't agree with all this 'euthanizing' stuff). I couldn't get a picture of the Pleco due to the fact that he spends the entire day wedged underneath an enormous cavern in the bogwood, so I just took a picture of where he hides.

Name:  GEDC0994.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  GEDC0995.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  GEDC0997.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  GEDC0999.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  GEDC1000.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  GEDC1002.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  GEDC1004.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  95.6 KB
Old 03-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #7 
ollief9

Just to clarify things, the small Eheim internal filter is from the old tank, and will be removed in a few weeks when the bacteria has transferred. The fluval u4 came with the tank and it seemed a waste to throw it away, so it's running together with the canister filter.
Funny though, how the Fluval u4 has a higher flow rate than the canister filter? Weird.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #8 
Omboc

That tank looks amazing! Very natural. Try and snap a picture of that Pleco, I'm sure he looks good.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #9 
ollief9

OK, tonight I'll get my camera ready. He's extremely shy though, and if you so much as open the feeding flap, he shoots back into his hiding place.

Thanks for the compliments, my only gripe at the moment with the tank is it does look quite bare and I'd like to cover the equipment. How could I do this?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #10 
tsoto80

How could anyone think a big fish tank is ugly? :( I find them peacful....I am sure once it is filled in more your mom will have an appriciation for it more :) as for covering the equipment I would say find the longest plants possible
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote