Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #11 
vaygirl

No, that's right, 5 tsp. :( I'm sorry he's not doing well.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #12 
KayDowson

i like to dissolve mine in some tank water first
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #13 
jayyne

Update on my Helios:
I added the aquarium salt today, dissolved 5 tsp in some tank water and added it. Now he is swimming around very frantically, in a shivery sort of swim. I hope he's OK. At least he's active now, right?!
jayyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #14 
iheartmybettas

I know you already added the salt but in the future I would move him to a quarantine tank to do the treatment because bettas can't process aquarium salt. If he is exposed to long it could make sick. You will probably have to do a 100% water change once you are done with the treatment to get it all out. Someone else can chime in though with there opinion. Typically I use a 1 gallon for aquarium salt treatment with daily 100% water changes.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #15 
vaygirl

That's true about getting the salt out. When I did it I did two back to back 50% water changes and the rest I just got out with regular bi weekly water changes.

Motion is good. Does he seem frantic though, or just active?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #16 
jayyne

Wait, what? You know, it would have been nice to know I was supposed to take the fish out of the tank before I added the salt BEFORE I added the salt. No wonder he was thrashing around. I...am really frustrated by this. I'm coming here for help saving my fish, not for another way to kill him. This is why I asked for clarification before I dumped the salt in there. Awesome.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #17 
iheartmybettas

It is not a problem that you put it in. More of a pain in the butt to get out of such a large tank. Everyone is just trying to help you and everyone has variations of how they treat. I take mine out so I don't have to mess with treating in 5 gallons +. Some leave them in. I just think it is easier in a QT tank. You just can't overexpose them to the aquarium salt which means no more than 10 days.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #18 
vaygirl

That's not at all what we're saying. We're talking about removing the salt when the treatment is over. When your 10 day salt treatment is over just do two 50 percent back to back water changes without salt. Or if you think the salt is having a negative effect then do two 50 percent changes back to back right now. I've treated in my tank with the fish in and had no negative effects but since you're the one who sees him every day and knows him, you should make the call.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #19 
jayyne

OK, I had a moment of panic there. I just hate to see my poor fish suffer! So some people treat the aquarium with salt with the fish in and some don't. Makes sense. I don't have really any alternative to my tank, I have a tiny pet carrier but it's not heated or filtered. I suppose I could stop at Petco tonight and see if they have something small (cheap) with a heater that I can put him in.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #20 
turtle10

If you treat the tank with out the fish then there is no point. The aquarium salt is for the fish, not the tank. Do you mean that some people treat there fish in the tank and some people don't?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote