Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #1 
ChelseaLlyn

Basil's fins

So I'm fairly certain my boy has fin rot. I've been treating it with Aquarium salt and 100% water changes & cleaning every other, with partial in between, since Tuesday (5 days ago). It's getting worse, and the base of his anal fin is turning a pinkish-clear color, though the fin is still about an inch long. His belly is also turning white (it's always been a dark brown/black), but the rest of his color doesn't seem to have faded. The white spot isn't fuzzy, though, it's just the scales have changed color.
Should I keep treating him with the aquarium salt and water changes (I plan on starting 100%/day, it's just midterms week so every other day has been all I can manage), or is it time to try something different? Could it even be something entirely different from fin rot?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 75-78 (it's one of the color changing thermometers, so I can only tell that it's in between the two)
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once in the morning and once at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 1/3 one day, then 100% the next
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No test kit

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins looking ragged, with tears, base is pinkish, white belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? water changes, aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him for three weeks, but the first week he was bloated.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. He's quite small, about 1.5'' body length, so maybe not fully grown?
ChelseaLlyn is offline   Reply With Quote