Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Exclamation White Fuzzy Growths

I noticed about a day ago that my betta has little fuzzy things growing on him. I first noticed it on his lip but now he has 3 (shown in pics). My female on the other side of the divider has a teeny little thing on her lip but I can hardly notice it and I think it is going away. He is acting normal and everything, but I am worried. Here are some pics. I am so sorry for the bad quality, P.J. HATES the camera.

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10g (so really a 5g for him)
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, a female across the divider though.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food, freezedried bloodworms, HBH colourbright flake food, or tetra tropical crisps.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? New tank, havent performed any yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% or 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bio support, all purpose water conditioner, aquarium salt. (thought there is a mix of 2 conditioners in there, because I had a bit of unusedwater kept from their old tanks)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
-I get it tested but I do it al my LFS and they don't tell me the meters. All I know is that the ammonia is a bit high.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White fuzzy things growing on my male veiltail. Started on his lip and spread to behid his head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasnt, but I am afraid it might....
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Uhhh, about 1-2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Havent yet, but added osme extra Aquarium Salt to the water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? well I got him about 1 month or less ago.

Sorry again for the pics. You probably can't really tell from them...I tried for a long time but P.J. hates the camera and he has gone through lots of stress today from me making a new divider and using trial and error for it to fit....(he was separated from my female btw). Please help my little friend! Thanks in advance. I hope he will pull through...
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #2 
BlackberryBetta

Okay, I am really confused....I can't tell if they are fuzzy or just cuts! I honestly can't tell! Anyways, whatever they are seem to be going away. And I moved the things that he could have cut himself on out of the tank. False alarm! (I hope!). I will keep you guys updated (if anybody is actually reading this...)
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote