Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #1 
BettaMama11

Exclamation Update, help please...

Hey guys...I have an update on Dori, I haven't heard back on the second thread about Dori that I started, and now sadly after looking at her closely I have noticed she's got some white fluff on her damaged fins...unfortunately the camera I have isn't as good as the camera I have been using in my other pictures....its seems cottony...what method of treatment would you recommend....??

Housing
What size is your tank? 10G (however I put her in her cup a few hours ago and its floating in her tank at the mo..)
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 other female bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Have tried feeding topfin but she hasn't been interested
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Haven't performed one yet as just set up the tank late wednesday night with the ladies
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I plan to do a 50% change tomorrow
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I have Topfin Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.2ppm
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has been nipped a lot over the course of the day..(was at work =( )
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? she seems stressed and fragile and weak
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got home so 5.5 hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix...added aquarium salt on thursday
Does your fish have any history of being ill?...no just being nipped...
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased her on Wednesday

I did go out and buy a 1.5 filtered tank as a just in case I need to take her out. Since she's so weak I didn't think of getting her a larger tank and didn't have the budget for a larger one either =(
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 
Abby

hmm not going to say my recently deceased fish had the cotton thing twice O.O(along with popeye, fungus and what may have been a tumor) but my guy was a very sick fish

Keeping her in the cup and in the tank will keep her warm but the other fish have been exposed as well so when u get told what to treat her with it will prob be an idea to treat the other ladies too.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 
BettaMama11

Ok...will do...you think it best to set up a treatment tank for her?? I've looked carefully at the other ladies and they seem ok, they haven't been nipped as badly as Dori has been...and are quite energetic and have been eating, I'm going to keep observing them hopefully my husband remembers to bring back the good camera from work tomorrow so I can post pictures...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 
Abby

yeh if its a fungus thing they may still develop it.
qt her though but she will still need to be warm
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 
BettaMama11

Ok so I messed around with the pictures to try and make them clearer...

The first three are how I found her a couple of hours ago and the last one is what she looked like yesterday =(
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #6 
Abby

OH MY GOODNESS! shes in a bad way QT her and start a daily water 50% change and decafe green tea bags or IAL i think do the same thing will help her regrow her fins. she will need Asalt in her water to prevent infection
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #7 
BettaMama11

My husband has a sick sense of humor!!

ok so turns out my husband did have the camera and was just messing with me!! grrrrrrrrrr!!! I took some snapshots of her that are much clearer...in the last two you can see the fluff a bit better..and there seems to be a ball of fluff on top of her head?
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #8 
Abby

ewwww poor lassie
id keep her quiet and qted remember lexi was SHOCKING when she arrived and made a FULL recovery
Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #9 
BettaMama11

Tis true! I'm worried I may not have the savvy to be able to save my baby! might give her some aquarium salt to start with me thinks...hmmm..100% daily water changes? or 50%, 50% then 100%? Bettafix or no Bettafix... =( I guess it doesn't help that she hasn't eaten yet either..poor thing =(
Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
Tis true! I'm worried I may not have the savvy to be able to save my baby! might give her some aquarium salt to start with me thinks...hmmm..100% daily water changes? or 50%, 50% then 100%? Bettafix or no Bettafix... =( I guess it doesn't help that she hasn't eaten yet either..poor thing =(
you saw lexi's recovery did you?
she was in awful shape and with in a month she is back to 100% and all i did was kept her on daily water changes

Last edited by Abby; 03-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.