Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #11 
LolaQuigs

Poor thing! It looks like either columnaris or fungus, I haven't had experience with either so I can't tell. I think columnaris can actually cause frayed fins, so perhaps that's what it is. Definitely keep her in qt, and if possible keep her temperature around 77. Both bacteria (which is what columnaris is) and fungus thrive in high temperatures, so keeping her temp on the cool side of the betta range will help inhibit growth. I wouldn't use bettafix, I've heard bad things about it (it's just watered down melafix, which can harm the betta's labyrinth organ). Other than that I'm not sure how to treat; I recommend you send a PM to OldFishLady, she knows about treating all betta illnesses!

I hope she starts feeling better soon!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #12 
BettaMama11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Poor thing! It looks like either columnaris or fungus, I haven't had experience with either so I can't tell. I think columnaris can actually cause frayed fins, so perhaps that's what it is. Definitely keep her in qt, and if possible keep her temperature around 77. Both bacteria (which is what columnaris is) and fungus thrive in high temperatures, so keeping her temp on the cool side of the betta range will help inhibit growth. I wouldn't use bettafix, I've heard bad things about it (it's just watered down melafix, which can harm the betta's labyrinth organ). Other than that I'm not sure how to treat; I recommend you send a PM to OldFishLady, she knows about treating all betta illnesses!

I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Thanks LolaQuigs! She actually got this because Maggie my other female and Alpha at the moment took a dislike to her for some reason and nipped her quite a bit while I was at work today ... =( thanks for the heads up on the temp and bettafix...I just finished setting up her quarantine tank..I think PMing OFL sounds like a good idea! I'm just waiting for the temp to go down a bit.. I hope she starts to feel better soon too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
you saw lexi's recovery did you?
she was in awful shape and with in a month she is back to 100% and all i did was kept her on daily water changes
I did it was amazing how well she did recover...perhaps I'm doubting myself because I'm new to the hobby ... =( but knowing that Lexi made such a great recovery, gives me hope that soon Dori will make a turn around and grow back her fins!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote