Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 
margotandfishy

Question Newbie with a few questions

I've been haunting the forums for the past week trying to get good information and i have a few questions.
What makes a smaller tank harder/impossible to cycle? And how big does a tank have to be for it to cycle well?
I don't want a lot of cords or anything in my tank so I know I need a heater but is there anything else I really need?
Any good ideas to hide my heater because I really prefer just seeing the fish and the tank, none of the equipment.
And lastly if I have glass gems in the bottom of my tank instead of gravel should i get a vacuum thing or just rinse them when i do a 100% water change?
thanks in advance!
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 
YoshesMom

A filter isnt NEEDED but it makes things easier all my heaters are hidden behind plants
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #3 
turtle10

Also without a filter you can't cycle your tank. What makes a smaller tank harder to cycle is the lack of surface area for the bacteria to latch onto. And because it is a small tank you still have to make frequent water changes which can hurt the cycle. If you want to cycle a tank you need a filter and, ideally, at least a five gallon tank.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Everything the other two people mentioned. I don't know what size tank you are trying to heat. I have read about people not wanting or can't fit an actual heater into their small tank/container and using a plant seedling heating mat or a heating pad made for people underneath their small tank/container. They cover the heating mat/pad with a decorative cloth. Be aware though: there is usually no way to control the heat other than turning it on/off (which is not a constant temperature). These pads may work well using the lowest setting. This thought may be something you want to explore through research either by trying a heating mat/pad out in a store or researching on the internet; Depending upon the size of tank/container you are trying to heat. Also, I would imagine these two types of heating devices are going to cost at least as much as a 25 Watt regular aquarium heater. But, I am providing you with another option you may want to look into. By submitting your question, this option may help other Bettas get warmer, also.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #5 
margotandfishy

ok thanks! I haven't completely decided on how big of a tank I'm going to get. I'm just about to go and look around right now to see. wish me luck!
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #6 
turtle10

Good luck! lol
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, newbie