Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #1 
peachesxo

Sad betta =(

Ahh, So i went to my cousins last last night and we were all sitting around in his living room and I spotted a betta out of the corner of my eye.
I hadn't even noticed him before because he was sitting in a little jar almost behind a potted plant.
I picked him up to take a look at him. The jar was super small, less than half a gallon Being all betta nosey now I immediatly let her know it was a too small.
I also noticed right away he had reeally bad fin rot, he was a crowntail but almost all of his rays were disintegrated with only a few still long. I asked her about water changes and she said it had been about 2 weeks and that the bamboo she had in there would filter out all the bad stuff.
Of course i said they should be done every day in that small of an environment, and I also pointed out the fin rot and told her it is probably from the water quality.

I have a feeling she isn't going to take my advice though

Mraaaaaa
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Ahh, So i went to my cousins last last night and we were all sitting around in his living room and I spotted a betta out of the corner of my eye.
I hadn't even noticed him before because he was sitting in a little jar almost behind a potted plant.
I picked him up to take a look at him. The jar was super small, less than half a gallon Being all betta nosey now I immediatly let her know it was a too small.
I also noticed right away he had reeally bad fin rot, he was a crowntail but almost all of his rays were disintegrated with only a few still long. I asked her about water changes and she said it had been about 2 weeks and that the bamboo she had in there would filter out all the bad stuff.
Of course i said they should be done every day in that small of an environment, and I also pointed out the fin rot and told her it is probably from the water quality.

I have a feeling she isn't going to take my advice though

Mraaaaaa

That poor guy!! :( Hope that she takes your advice...I hate it how people are so ignorant! >:( "Betta fish love small spaces and put a big plant in their jar. You won't have to take care of them, nooooo sir! The plant eats at the fish waste and the fish eats the plant roots." Way to raise awareness to your cousin :)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 
peachesxo

it was his girlfriend's betta, but yeah. i hope so too.

i think she kinda got it when i told her i keep mine in 10 gallon heated/filtered by themselves and do 40-50% weekly water changes on thooose.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 
CrowntailxKing

I think it's ridiculous when someone can simply shove a living thing on the back of the shelf...
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #5 
peachesxo

Yeah. I wanted to take him home, his eyes looked really dark/almost red too..
Poor dude =(
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Aww, poor baby! I hate when people get caught into those tiny little less-than-a-half-gallon bowls and stuff. I used to, but moved my buddies into a divided 10g. I hope she listens to you!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
Luimeril

i'd sneakily steal him. o.o if you have a big ol' purse, carry a betta up, then when no one's looking, dump him in it and walk out. >3> but, that's just my evil side talking. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #8 
Corpse

I've seen some horrible treatment of animals, but I've never seen or even heard of a betta living in a jar that's less than a gallon. Unless the betta is at Petco, Petsmart, or any other pet store a betta shouldn't be seen inside a container that's less than a gallon. The bad side of me wants to tell you to steal the poor betta so it doesn't have to be miserble anymore, but the betta isn't yours and you could get into trouble for stealing. The fate of that betta isn't going to be a good one if they don't take your advice about the conditions it's living in. If they don't take your advice then you need to keep bugging them about it so they'll get him/her a proper tank and treatment. That's the only thing you can do without getting into trouble.
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 
YoshesMom

Steal it! Or just say Hey I can really give this guy a wonderful home at my place! thats how I got rainbow and my 3 rescue females teehee!
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

I vote if they don't follow your advice show them this website. If they shrug him off then offer to buy the little fella. He shouldn't suffer because of ignorance.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote