Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Film?

I have a divided 10g and there is like a film on the top of one side that looks like oily. Its hard to explain. When I drop a pellet in there, the film separates. It is so weird. It hasnt even been sitting for a long time, I just messed around with the water yesterday installing a new divider. And it can't be because of the water not flowing through the divider because even before when I had a different divider, it was full of holes and very open and the film was there. It isn't dirty either. The tank is about a month old. But it is used. I rinsed it out with hot water and salt and vinegar too. Even the other side of the divider has a little film on it. I am just concerned that my fish can't breath through it. Sorry for the novel. What do you think it is/I should do?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 
turtle10

It is just normal biofilm. I would just skim it off everyday or add a bubbler to agitate the water surface so it doesn't build.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Oh ok thanks. Every few days I have been taking a cup and swishing the water around. Sorry I overreacted. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 
turtle10

It is okay lol. The first time I saw it I freaked out.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 
KayDowson

i take a paper towel and real gentely run it along the top of my water nd it takes all that crud off... live plants help too
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Thats a good idea. I might try that. And I was think of getting some live plants. Huh....Maybe I will. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #7 
KayDowson

no worries... i love the live plants... theyre great for cycling too... bout to switch over all my tanks to npt here in the future... hope it helps!
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

If your lid allows you can do things like put the intake on one side of the divider and the return on the other or even cut the divider to fit under the output of the filter. You could also use one of the whisper 3i to do the aeration on the opposite side of the divider since the whole 3i kit costs about the same as a pump, hose and air stone then just cut a candy cane shaped piece of sponge to stick in it so it produces surface area on the out-flow.

Generally the surface films are protein in nature and you can sop them up with the little algae scrubby pad by sticking it below them then lifting up. They are an indication of excessive rock depth, too much shade, lack of sufficient aeration and dirty filter housings.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote