Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Exclamation Now lost all head scales...

Well. Basch is worse today, by a lot. Thanks for all the help ugh

I have a feeling he's going to die. Great.

This thread has all the specs of the tank, etc. Please refer to that as well as the pictures from yesterday:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66274

He's deteriorated really badly in only a day.

The only new things are that:
-I did a couple of very large changes/vacuums. He was in QT for that.
-He's in QT, .5 gallons, with some AQ salt. I cant measure exactly how much, but its about .5tsp.
-He's in a dark spot.
-Temp is around 77-5
-He's slightly bloated, idk why.
-His brother and tank mate is fine.
-He is pale and lethargic.

This is what I woke up to:

Please, someone. Help my boy. Idk why I never get replies on the threads I create, but I really need help now.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #2 
vaygirl

That looks raw and painful. I think you're doing the right thing for him. It's really up to him to bounce back. I would suggest is a bit less salt. It could be irritating the wound. I'd go 1/4 tsp for half a gallon.

You could try BettySplendens chart for illnesses. She's a betta breeder so she's knowledgeable. For reddening on or under the skin; open sores, she recommends Melafix, Tetracycline, Furacyn, or MarOxy and suggests it could be a bacterial infection.

Here's the link... http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=930

I'm sorry you're not getting replies. But you know we're not vets and it's hard to recommend treatment when you're not sure what it is exactly. :( I hope he feels better.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #3 
redbettagirl

The following is just a guess:

The lost scales and bloating could be a sign of septicemia (severe bacterial infection). If not treated immediately, this could lead to full-blown dropsy. I could consider an antibiotic treatment since aquarium salt doesn't seem to be doing much. You could try Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food, or treat with Mardel’s Maracyn and Maracyn-Two in combination (since it could be gram positive or gram negative bacteria). I hope he recovers!
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

I have only what would equal 6-8 small pieces of salt in there :c
Ill look into some of those meds, though I only have a really awful walmart to go to, and they dont have much. I cant get to the store until late tomorrow... Wrooo :,c

He's a little more perky atm- Im going to take him out of the half gallon QT and into his bag and float him because I cant heat that QT at all, and dont want to further compromise him with cold..

And I know, its just frustrating to see lots of views and no comments, even not for a diagnosis but things like what you said about the salt, just as reassurance. It makes you feel better...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I know, it sucks when they're sick. Fish can be a real challenge to diagnose. And they're our babies. Pick yourself up some measuring spoons at Walmart. It'll make things easier. :)

If you have the money, you can usually overnight meds from amazon.com. It's a thought anyhow. But he might do fine with clean water, salt, and some warm wishes.

Last edited by vaygirl; 03-27-2011 at 02:16 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 
KayDowson

i really hope ur baby gets better... nd i really dont know crap but jus as a guess i was reading somewhere about this cotton somethin... ne way its an ifection so if he was my fish i would jus try to get him some of that medicine for the gram pos nd gram neg infections and see if that helps... Sorry that idk nothin but i really do hope he starts feelin better...
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 
KayDowson

gonna send u some sites and reading to check out...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 
cjayBetta

in the 6th picture it looks like the scales on his body are a little raised too. :(
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #9 
KayDowson

u said it looks like his scales are missing or raised... i cant see the pix on my work comp... but if they r missing he may be rubbing and itch so i could be fungal also
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

I hope not, Cjay... In person it really doesnt appear as such, though.

He has, sad to say, a small bit of clear, almost jelly-like whiteish growth on one part of his head...Only visible with a flash light....

I initially thought this might have been from his new piece of drift wood, which may have been rough and he rubbed some of them off.

Im going to try to get some sorta antibacterial something from the store tomorrow. Even if I over night it, the stupid fools that sort my dorm mail would delay it from getting to me for a few extra days...

He seems in fair spirits in his QT bag with the AQ salt in it. The temp is around 77' atm, and alle is even building me a nest. Theyre flaring every so often, too.

I have medicine, too, that has formalin and malachite green in it...is that helpful?

I dont want baschy to die, I have no clue what this is.