Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #11 
KayDowson

just keep an eye on him... he a strong lil fish so hell be ok til u can get him some meds in the morning... he might not even need them if hes perkin up in the salt water... keep us updated
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #12 
russalka

I don't think that formalin or malachite green would be helpful. I'm guessing that it is bacterial.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

It could be columnaris if the red area starts growing white fuzz. I saw missing scales, then barely seen white (only from an angle), then fuzz.

Here's a link for columnaris treatment.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

If it is columnaris, you need a gram negative antibiotic, such as maceryn II.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #13 
vaygirl

That MIGHT be his slime coat coming in, that jelly-like stuff. But I'm not an expert. That's just a guess on my part. Columnaris is usually very fuzzy, like cotton.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

That's what I was thinking, because it truly isnt "fuzzy" or cottony in the least- Id imagine with an open wound something would develop atop it, so here's hoping for slime coat...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

I've put a bubble stone/airrator in his QT Baggie.. I have a feeling that, if this isnt a bacterial infection *now, it has the ability to become one, and know that extra oxygen will discourage progression..Here's hoping.

And thanks everyone who has posted or pm'd me. I have* read everything, though I may not always post a reply.

I want to not comment on anything unless to clarify to avoid people coming up with unlikley results.. Know what I mean. But really, I appreciate you all helping us out, it means a lot, more than you know.

Also, as per OFL's advice (craaappp that her computer's having trouble..):
He'll get 100% changes each day (wouldve anyway)
Im upping his dosage of AQ salt to much higher dose; I dont know how much water is in his QT bag, but I can go up to 3tsp/gallon, so itll be more than it currently is.
Im not going to allow the temp to get much higher than 75-6', much to Alle's displeasure, Im sure. Hah...

If I can manage to get my hands on it, Ill treat both the QT and Alle with decaf green tea, so long as basch makes it to tomorrow evening. Ill also get whatever I can at walmart, though I know they have very little.

I think* they have the stuff in the dark blue bottles, prima or melafix.. If they do, should I give that a shot? I feel like its all theyre gonna have.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #16 
kathstew

I'm sorry I don't know much about illness's in fish. But I hope he gets better.:(
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
I'm sorry I don't know much about illness's in fish. But I hope he gets better.:(
Thanks, hun. I couldnt bear to lose him. He's such a wonderful creature, he deserves to stay with us for so much longer.. :,c
Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #18 
tsoto80

So have you figured out yet what may have caused it? I see he is (was) in a divided tank. could he maybe got his head stuck between the diver and glass? Maybe even his room mate picked at his head if so? I dunno if it is glued in or not.... I dunno my boys head been turning gray and Im thinking it is cause they keep rubbing against the divider trying to get at each other. As far as treatment goes Im sorry PewPew I cant help there :(
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #19 
PewPewPew

No, there's no space to do that, and to be honest- theyre "used" to eachother. They dont flare much and keep to themselves. I think, if it were to be an object that hurt him,it was him being a derp and rubbing/wedging into his driftwood, which was set up to have spaces to swim through because he's very playful.

:,c I hope he makes it tonigghhhtttt ....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #20 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No, there's no space to do that, and to be honest- theyre "used" to eachother. They dont flare much and keep to themselves. I think, if it were to be an object that hurt him,it was him being a derp and rubbing/wedging into his driftwood, which was set up to have spaces to swim through because he's very playful.

:,c I hope he makes it tonigghhhtttt ....
Okay well after he recovers give him a stern talking to for scaring his momma! *hugs*
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote