Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

5 gallon Sterilite container.

I moved Annabelle to a 5 gallon Sterilite container. It used to hold my jewelry making supplies, but I just moved those to a large bag. I'm hoping her stress stripes, which she's had since I got her, will go away now. I don't like the fact that I can't see her as well as I used to (clear in the sterilite world isn't exactly clear), but I hope she'll be happier. She seems to be enjoying herself. She loves staring at individual leaves on the fake plants I gave her. It's like she expects them to move. She's adorable. I hope she colors up soon. She has lavender fins, and I want to see what she'll look like! I can't wait. Sorry, I don't have pictures.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 
KayDowson

my female was doing the same thing a few days ago... i put some aq salt in with her and let her look at one of my other fish thru the divider... shes doing great now... good luck!
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I know, she seems to color up when I let her flirt with one of my males. But I used Aqua salt, and it didn't seem to help at all. I'm hoping she'll be happier now. I wonder if it's possible for a fish to have stress stripes so long that they become permanent. She came from Wal*mart, and had terrible stripes when I got her.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 
KayDowson

that is the same place i got my girl from... i was workin with one of the vp's up there and i saw her on my break... i had to bring her home she was so sick... but im lettin her flirt with Vamp and they are jus the happiest fish now her stripes are gone... but even b4 that i had her back to eatin right and swimming and she was otherwise healty but still had the stripes... i was so worried but even now that theyre gone they still fade in and out... im thinkin it might just be that shes an high strung kinda fish and that jus may how she is... I would say read my thread Sick, Stressed or Stripped, because they really helped me get my girl back right... BTW did u check ur parameters yet... that might also have something to do with it... Im just guessin
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I don't think it has anything to do with my parameters. My tap water has no ammonia, but we do have hard water and kind of a high ph. Also, when she was in the 1 gallon, I was changing her water almost everyday. Sometimes I did every other day, but more often then not I changed it daily.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 
KayDowson

maybe she just needs time to chill out... how long have u had her... did u try turning off all the lights and lettin her relax... and maybe shes jus like my girl and high strung... if theres nothin else wrong with her i would say let her chill for a few days and see how that goes... I know its easier said than done cuz i was flippin bricks when my girlie had em... I did read somewhere on here that if u make a cup of tea and then use the leftover tea bag in their water it helps them relax... idk how i would feel bout puttin tea in my tank tho...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

I've got one much like that, Orchid is a petco and she's only dropped her striping once while sleeping even. I think its actually related to PTSD type stresses, I've had several who just stripe up all the time.

I've seen it more commonly in crowntails.

Most of them don't live as long as they should but I've never found what causes it and have even had one in her own tank and treated for everything.

If she plays with you, darts around for food, explores her environment and identifies herself in a little mirror you should have no long term problems with her.

DO try a variety of food, I had one girl who actually loved the algae wafers more than anything else.

(( note about the sterilite, it will stain slowly and become brittle over time when exposed to many of the stress-coat, treatment chemicals and medicines as well as light, so be careful moving/bumping it and if you're using a HOB filter think about getting a piece of wood to fit up under the lip it is hanging on. ))
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

She loves her food, don't worry. She's a little lush. She LOVE flaring at herself in mirrors, and her stripes actually go away when I let her flare. She loves chasing my finger, and actually chases her poop to the bottom when it falls off of her. It's SO HILARIOUS! She loves to explore, too. She's a little pistol.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #9 
KayDowson

c were not alone or crazy... its the crappy ppl who dont take care of em right... Thanx Thunder
Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Yeah, I know. I don't mind the stripes, and she does seem to be happy. She flares and dances at the mirror like a male! It's cute.