Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 
GeorgiaPeach

Help!!

My friend just recently bought a Betta when I bought Willie. However, her fish is starting to act funny. Shes keeps him in a 2.5 mini bow tank with filtration and heat at 75 degrees. Within a day her tank got cloudy and he only swims by the filter. Hes not very active anymore and barely eats. She only bought him like 4 days ago from the same PetCo I got Willie from. Please help me, so we can save the poor Betta!
GeorgiaPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

Is there gravel? Did you both rinse the gravel before adding water to the tank? Cloudiness could be a number of things.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 
GeorgiaPeach

yes. when setting up both our tanks we washed everything from the gravel to the plants. My tank is not cloudy but hers is.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #4 
FlareThis
Banned

First of all the water is too cold, bettas do best with water between 78-82 degrees. When water is to cold is causes bettas to act lethargic and can compromise their immune system causing them to become more susceptible to disease.

What are the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings? For now I would give him a water change, maybe 50% and raise the temperature.
FlareThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Like I said, the cloudiness could be a number of things. I remember my water would be cloudy straight from the tap because my water softener was acting up. And yes, Betta fish do BEST in 78-82 degrees, but they are able to live happy lives in temperatures a little cooler than that. My fish thrived in his bowl before I got him a tank with a heater. Perhaps someone else with more experience will come along.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
Like I said, the cloudiness could be a number of things. I remember my water would be cloudy straight from the tap because my water softener was acting up. And yes, Betta fish do BEST in 78-82 degrees, but they are able to live happy lives in temperatures a little cooler than that. My fish thrived in his bowl before I got him a tank with a heater. Perhaps someone else with more experience will come along.
You can't say all bettas will thrive at a cooler temperature. Your betta might have been healthier and was able to handle the lower temperature. Whereas GeorgiaPeach's friend's betta might not be so resiliant. It is a tropical fish and needs warm water especially if it may already have a weakened immune system. So the temperature I believe should be an immediate concern. After that do some frequent water changes and hopefully it will clear up. If it was an issue with the gravel I would think after 4 days it would have settled.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #7 
GeorgiaPeach

She has a heater and its at 74 degrees. Ill suggest a partial water change to her. Thank you
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #8 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
You can't say all bettas will thrive at a cooler temperature. Your betta might have been healthier and was able to handle the lower temperature. Whereas GeorgiaPeach's friend's betta might not be so resiliant. It is a tropical fish and needs warm water especially if it may already have a weakened immune system. So the temperature I believe should be an immediate concern. After that do some frequent water changes and hopefully it will clear up. If it was an issue with the gravel I would think after 4 days it would have settled.
I didn't say all Betta thrive in cooler temperatures...I simply was saying it's possible and that's why I said "perhaps someone with more experience will come along" -_-
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #9 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
She has a heater and its at 74 degrees. Ill suggest a partial water change to her. Thank you
I am going to just lay it out there... If it is not an adjustable heater then she needs to get a new one that is and can reach 78 so the temperature is where it needs to be or she needs to get a fish that thrives in 74 degree water like guppies. If her fish is already showing signs of being sick having the temperature too low is only going to make it worse.

If she has had the tank for 4 days she should also be doing twice a week water changes. If she has a filter then both can be 50%. If no filter then one 50% and 1 100%. So if it is cloudy she should probably change it every other day until it clears up.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
I didn't say all Betta thrive in cooler temperatures...I simply was saying it's possible and that's why I said "perhaps someone with more experience will come along" -_-

Not a problem! I just don't want someone to come along and interpret it that way.