Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 
thatgirl

How much to do you feed your betta?

I'm just curious how much everyone feeds their bettas. I've heard as much as they can eat in 2 minutes, but that seems like a lot. I've also heard that their bellies are the same size as their eyes.

I feed mine 3 pellets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And 2 pellets and a blood worm on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. He fasts on Saturdays. If that enough food?? He's kind of small and there's a little bulge at the end of his body by his tail.

Also, what are the best foods?

Thanks!
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #2 
peachesxo

That sounds like a fine amount to me.
I feed mine 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night, and sometimes switch up a pellet or two for a few bloodworms or some flakes.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #3 
KayDowson

i dont like the feed as much as they can in 2 mins cuz with a ct u can dump the whole container in and theyll try to eat it... i feed mine 3-4 in the morning and 2 at night and bloodworms in the afternoon 3times a week and with water changes
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #4 
roadrunner

:o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
That sounds like a fine amount to me.
I feed mine 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night, and sometimes switch up a pellet or two for a few bloodworms or some flakes.
My feeding is prety similiar, except I don't give them anything at all one day during the week ( I picked wednesday). Bettas have stomach about the size of their eye, so you do not want to overfeed them. Overfeeding can cause bloating and later SBD.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #5 
YoshesMom

mine get 4-5 pellets in the morning
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #6 
LolaQuigs

I give my male 2 pellets in the morning and two at night. My female is pretty small so I give her two in the morning, and sometimes one, sometimes two each night. Occasionally I will substitute fd bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia for their evening pellets. I fast them every Thursday.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #7 
appledust

How many pellets your fish should eat is usually just a matter of opinion; it's definitely true that their stomachs are around the size of one eye though, so it's important to keep that in mind. I would not feed more than 4 pellets a day (2 at morning/2 at night), especially if your fish don't get any sort of exercise. That little bulge at the end of their bodies is actually their swim bladder. I remember when I used to think it was somehow part of their digestive system, too. Hehe.

New Life Spectrum is a great brand of food; I have never seen it in chain stores but some local pet stores may carry it. Ocean Nutrition/Atison's is great too. Frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms are great once/twice a week. I used to use Hikari Bio-Gold pellets but they put some less than favorable ingredients in those, like MSG.

Since switching to NLS and Atison's I have noticed a huge enhancement in my fish's colors! I never used to believe food made a difference but it absolutely does :)
appledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #8 
Wolfie

I feed 3 pellets in the morning and two at night. Once a week I will replace a pellet with a frozen bloodworm. I don't feed anything on Sundays.

Pellet brand: HBH Betta bites. Bloodworms: Nutrafin bloodworms.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #9 
thatgirl

Thanks guys! I'm going to feed him 2 pellets twice a day (bloodworms some days and a fasting day) instead of just once a day.
I got him about 2 weeks ago from people who never cleaned his tank and rarely fed him. He's SO tiny. His fins are a little scraggly at the ends and his swim bladder (thanks appledust!) looks big to me, but I'm not too experienced with fish. Do you think it's just because he's skinny??

Oh, and his fins look better now than they did before I got him!

Thanks!
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #10 
fleetfish

2-3 pellets in morning and frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms or glassworms at night. Sometimes i'm too lazy to get the frozen food out so I just feed 2 more pellets. Have NLS grow and betta pellet formula and Omega 1 pellets and flake. Before fasting twice weekly I give a pea or daphnia to clear out their systems.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote