Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Cool why so confusing, orange?

so, i want to learn as much as i can about betta genetics before i start my future project.

Orange Dalmatians. i got info on Dalmatian, but need help on the whole.... orange part.

from what i've read, Dalmatian is dominant, and even when out-crossing into other colors, some of the fry will show the spotting(in my case, it'll be red). if bred into reds, the spots won't show, of course.

but, orange confuses me. i know it's not kindergarden colors, that red and yellow DON'T make orange. xD but, what does? the male will be a veiltail i'll probably get from my lps, since they get in amazingly healthy bettas(with no signs of anything wrong with them. no dips, bent spines, deformities, ect), and seem to come from a very good breeder. he'll be an orange dal, of course, but what colors should i look for in a female, and what colors should i avoid? or, should i just go ahead and try to find an orange dal pair off aquabid? >.>;

no worries about this. xD i do plan on doing it, but not right now. ._. gotta get the stuff ready. the spawning tank, grow out tank, jars, foods, filter, heater, live plants(cause i wanna try my hand at live plants. :3), ect.

any advice on this whole thing is appreciated. :d like, what kinds of plants(i do plan on a huge mass of Java moss. xD my favorite plant. :3), foods you use, conditioning tips and tricks, ect. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 
Luimeril

26 views, and no one has any info? x3c not even advice?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Here's info on the orange dal:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1757
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 
Luimeril

:3 that's where i got my info, actually. the only thing confusing me about this all, is orange. o.o i've heard it's hard to get, hard to continue, ect.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I read that article, too. It's pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have any info or advice for you. I know nothing about genetics and I failed science in school. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #6 
Luimeril

lol thanks. :d i'm hoping one of the wonderful breeders on here can give me advice. o3o
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Orange is a difficult color to maintain. I've heard that orange x orange will eventually loose it's ... brightness (?).... So people outcross them to other colors. And there.... at least I haven't found (reading) a fixed/definite color outcross that will always work. All I can suggest is that you get an orange partner and make more oranges. Then work your way and mix them to suggested colors (in articles).

Although it's much more fun to create something from scratch. But remember breeders who experiment can care for hundreds of fish at a time. We can't thus are confined to our limitations. To avoid ending up with more than you can handle, again - get an orange partner.

Good Luck!!!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 
Luimeril

thanks! that's what i was planning on doing, but couldn't remember what orangexorange made.

if you've noticed, many of the Orange Dals in pet stores, aren't like, crayon orange. there's what i call "white gold", which is that paler, gold-ish orange, then there's salmon, peach, kinda-sorta-orange, and orange.

if i can't get a female from the pet store, i planned on buying an Aquabid HM orange dal pair, if i can find one. >3> HMxVT makes VTs, right?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

To my knowledge VT x HM = VT, oval tail, dT (if lucky). Inbreed the dT or any wide tailed ones to HM, eventually you'll end up with HM's. Select and continue the pointed edged ones - specially females (if any).

I agree, true bright orange is hard to find...... orange in general is hard to find (my area). TBH, I have never really read about orange. But from what I saw true orange might have something to do with extended red, yellow, black (some had black markings - like the pineapple), no irid, - (only my guess).

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Try asking the breeder to show you the color out comes of his batch. You should have a general idea of the genetic combination.... if the batch didn't produce true 90% oranges.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote