Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #1 
Lvckysox

Question Question about new betta

Hello everyone.
I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but i do have a quick question about the new betta that I bought.
I have been lurking in the forum a little bit after buying a new betta today (his name s Gillgamesh) from Wal-Mart. My friend and I were in there and I have been considering getting one today. I have a very good idea of how to take care of them because my mother used to always have one. Long story short, I found GIllgamesh and got him a new home.
He seems happy from what I have read (and adjusting pretty quickly as well since I have not had him for more than four hours and he seems happy). He is swimming in his bowl, not really flaring much and does not appear to be any dimmer than when I got him. Also, I gave him two pellets and he ate them, so he has no loss of appetite.

However, looking at his head, it seems to be that the scales are not as bright as the rest of his body. This also goes down his back to his fin. I was not sure if he was just stressed from living in Wal-mart where he was able to see other bettas with little room and little water, or if he is sick. I can post a picture if it is needed (that is him as my avatar right now). I would rather try and treat him if he is sick as soon as possible, or be assured that he is fine and it was the stress he was under.

Thank you!
Lvckysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #2 
ShortSwimmer

Love the name Gillgamesh, by the way. Itís truly fantastic. Anyway, Iím glad that your betta is healthy despite where he came from. Iím surprised that heís doing well, not even coming from just your average pet store (granted, itís not like those are the best conditions to begin with, but certainly better than Wal-Mart). Anyway, I canít really tell from the picture, but are you sure that the dullness isnít illness and perhaps just his natural coloration? Gillgamesh could be marbling, even...

I mean, did he come like this or is it a recent onset? Iím rather new with bettas myself, but by the sound of things, he doesnít seem to have any problems if heís healthy and active despite the strange head color.
ShortSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #3 
Lvckysox

To be honest, I am not too sure if those are his natural colorings or not. Right now, he is spending a lot of time hiding in the little leaves I have for him (they are facing the walls o I imagine it gives him security when things change for him). He is a little shy still and while he is swimming around,when I get too close he hides behind these.
They could be his normal color, but I am unsure.

Thank you for the compliment with his name :D. I am a history major so it only seemed natural.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #4 
ShortSwimmer

Hm... Well, I’d give him a few days, at least. After a little while he should start coming out more when he’s comfortable with his enviornment (though having places to hide is very important - that’s a problem I have right now with my tank, too much open space). When you can really see what’s going on with his colors and get a pic or two, maybe ask a few of the veteran fish owners about it.

Not a problem. I really love it. :) Heh, well, go with what you know, eh?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 
Tisia

I would guess it's just his coloring, my little guy has some blue iridescence on most of his body with a flat blackish color on his head
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #6 
Lvckysox

I would be glad if it was just his coloring, and I hope it is. I just did not want to pass it off as only his coloring when it might be something bad. I will try and post pictures as soon as I can. I have a good camera but it does not seem to like taking pictures of a moving fish all too well.
Thank you both for your time.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #7 
Tisia

I understand completely, lol, in the half a second it takes to focus on him, he's already zipped away out of range
here's a semi decent pic of mine for comparison if it helps
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #8 
ShortSwimmer

As do I. I'd hate for it to be some form of a condition. Getting a fish with an issue right off the bat is just terrible (I never even got to name the one I got back in December - poor thing was very sickly). And maybe try giving the photos a shot when he's calmed down some and is more willing to be seen even if people come close to his tank. My own camera has problems with taking pictures of moving fish, too (poor lighting doesn't help).

Not a problem. :) I hope that everything goes well and that you have a wonderful evening.

[to Tisia] You fish is very beautiful. I love his coloring.

Tags
betta question, sick, stress