Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Stupid Cory Question

This is my first experience with fish that aren't bettas. I just stocked my ten gallon tank with four panda cories. I got some sinking carnivore wafers for them to eat...but realized I don't know how much/how often to feed! Does anyone have any suggestions?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #2 
Alex09

I feed my cories ONE pellet of sinking shrimp pellets. This one pellet (the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil) is enough to feed 3 cories, 4 platies, a bunch of fry, and a betta. lol. So be careful to not overfeed. How long does it take them to eat the food? You should only feed what they can eat in a few minutes.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Ok sounds good. Earlier tonight, after I acclimated them and added them to the tank, I dropped in two sinking wafers. It took them a while to find them and start eating, but eventually they did. I left them to their meal for about twenty minutes, then I came back and saw that they had completely eaten one, but the other just had a few nibbles. I sucked it up with a turkey baster and threw it away. So one wafer at a time definitely makes sense. Do you feed them just once a day?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #4 
vaygirl

I feed my four one pellet split in half. I have the hikari carnivore pellets. It sounds like about the same as Alex feeds. I split it in half so they won't be so bunched up on one pellet. My two females are huge and aggressive eaters. Lol!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets in the evening when my fish is sleeping. Normally 1-2 per cory.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #6 
shinybetta

Also, corydoras enjoy algea wafers as well. I drop in 1 algea wafer and 1 carnivore pellet and let them choose. They seem to prefer the algea wafer.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #7 
Omboc

My cories love, love, love algae wafers. But I usually feed them with the sinking shrimp pellets. When they do get one, they all crowd around it, I have 5 cories and they're my favorites, besides my betta.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

They really are fun to watch! Good luck keeping your betta away from the shrimp pellets though! I have to sit there and referee the whole time.
My betta will scoot himself on his belly on the bottom of the sand to try and get those pellets. My corys dont seem to like the algea wafers as much as the shrimp pellets. My snail goes right for that algae wafer though. haha
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #9 
LolaQuigs

I picked up some algae wafers today; they're the same brand as the carnivore pellets I have (Hikari), but the algae wafers are HUGE compared to the carnivore pellets! What size are the shrimp pellets you guys are feeding, are they the same size as algae wafers? If one algae-wafer sized shrimp pellet is what they need, then I guess I've been underfeeding, because I only gave them one of the the teeny tiny little carnivore pellets!

I don't have a betta in their tank yet, I just finished cycling my tank and decided to add the cories first so the betta wouldn't have a chance to establish a territory. I'll probably start looking for a betta in a couple weeks; I want to give the tank time for the bioload to adjust to the cories first. But I'm definitely a little worried about my future betta eating the cory food...I've heard all about people having problems with that! I think I'll feed the cats with the lights out and hope he doesn't see!

I already love these little guys, they're so cute! I have a video I shot of them in my signature, they are just so much fun to watch!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

The sinking shrimp pellets are about double the size of the betta pellets, but they sink. I normally break them in half though with my finger..it makes it easier and faster for the corys to eat it before my betta smells it.

http://www.petco.com/product/114926/...t=OnSiteSearch