Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #1 
bahamut285

Exclamation Help!

Hey guys, this isn't really an emergency/health issue but it's semi-serious.

Both my Bettas are in my room on my desk, which just happens to be near my window. Normally I leave the blinds shut 99% of the time and barely any light peaks through (It gets really hot in my apartment, that's why I keep it closed).

My blinds are fairly new and they've got a lifetime warranty on them, and recently they've started peeling off the top (the blinds are kind of glued and reinforced to the top part this way). I've called the blind people and they told me to bring it in, but unfortunately I'm having extreme difficulty taking it off, so I might call them this week to ask if they can either give me more specific directions on how to take them off, or send somebody over to help me. Even my brother and boyfriend, both strong guys, can't get it off either, and the dude at the store when I called the first time said that women should be able to do it.

In any case, the only upside to this situation is that my fishies have a proper circadian rhythm now, but both tanks are in direct sunlight for a good 5-6 hours in the morning.

I've taped some white garbage bags to my window to reflect most of the light, but these garbage bags are super expensive and I don't want to paste up 100000000 of them just to cover my window. There are also no "specific spots" as to where it gets covered because the sun moves (obviously).

I'm not too concerned about algae as I have no qualms wiping it off (also there appears to be none growing at the moment). I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to maybe cover their tanks during the daytime, because it does ramp up the temperature EASILY to 82-84 in the span of several MINUTES :(

Thanks in Advance >_<"
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #2 
Tisia

maybe towels or blankets over your window? though you'd probably have to use tacks or nails to keep them up, not sure how you feel about holes in your walls
or maybe one of those reflector things that go in the front window of your car. they might be stiff enough that you could just use something to keep it propped up
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 
LolaQuigs

You could wrap the tanks in towels if it's too difficult to put stuff over the window.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 
Corpse

I don't quite understand why you'd have to purchase the garbage bags constantly. Couldn't you use the same garbage bags over again? If that's not an option then I suggest getting a towel to place on the blinds.
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 
bahamut285

@Corpse: Oh, my bad, I forgot to clarify, my window is kind of big, and the garbage bags are the small white ones you fit into regular wastebaskets, so I basically cut them open to double their surface area to cover my window better. I can't re-use a cut open one XD!... Also they only come in boxes of 20 or so :(

@ Everybody: would towels help? I kind of thought that towels would insulate the heat in the water @_@;...I'll see if I have any white towels lying around for me to use for maximum reflection. I can't put them up on the window because our landlady is crazy, she'll eat me alive if I put holes in the wall for anything other than blinds/curtains. I'll see if I can prop the towels up in front of my tanks with a school binder or something.

@Tisia: Hahaha! I never owned those car reflector things, but that's a pretty good idea :P!

Last edited by bahamut285; 03-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #6 
gmd1800

What about either white plastic bags or the brown paper bags that you get from the grocery store? That might be able to help a little. I don't know about you, but I hoard these bags like crazy and I always have at least five in my room somewhere.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #7 
bahamut285

@gmd: I'm kind of a clean-freak. I only wouldn't use them because food was put in them and they were sitting in a dirty trolley at the store >_<"", I use those for the garbage bin in the kitchen. I do have some clean ones lying around that nabbed from the grocery store I could use but I use...I'll try those

(I'M SORRY I KNOW I'M A HUGE FREAK LOL T___T)
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #8 
Tisia

maybe some cardboard? if you have a box somewhere you could cut it to the size of your window, would be a lot easier to take down if you wanted to let some light in. and you could tape the bags onto them even if you wanted
Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #9 
bahamut285

Hey everybody, thanks for all your replies, I'm grateful!

@Tisia: I found one cardboard box lying around that seemed to have no use so I moved some of the bags around so I could get the box in the biggest area :D

I think my crisis is averted for now. I think I'm going to wake up at dawn-ish tomorrow not only to get some work done but to re-adjust to see when the sun goes away and adjust my bags/box accordingly :D!!!

Whew, I didn't really want to see cooked betta @__________@
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #10 
Tisia

yay, glad to have helped ^_^