Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 
CrowntailxKing

Problems with Jenny? :(((

So, the alpha female in the sorority tank I started has been very...shy...lately. When I stick my finger in the tank and all the females gather around, she is nowhere to be found. At first, she was always flaring at the others to keep away so she could have me for herself. Well, I didn't take too much thought into it until today. While getting ready for school, I fed my ladies and was wondering where Jenny was. I found her in the back corner of the tank close to the filter and I knew something was wrong. Her bold, dark blue color had faded to a strange gray color and she was possessing bold horizontal stress stripes. Even her fins have lost the bold blue color and are now a light blue. I dont see anything wrong with her fins, but I put her back in the little jar she came in for now so that she can eat. She wasn't eating when other females were around. So I just put her back in that little cup while Im at school to see how she does on her own for a while without the filter. She ate flakes just fine, so I am wondering if she just doesnt like the pellets. I have been feeding the pellets to the females because none of them had liked the flakes, so I am wondering if she just hadnt been eating very well and that this may be the cause. I am hoping to get her back in the tank soon :( And dont worry about the other females; they get along perfectly fine, so if taking Jenny out will not stir trouble. Putting her back, however, *might* be a problem, but I will keep a close eye on that.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

I would make sure and float her cup in the tank so that it is heated. Just tape it to the side. Those cups will get cold really fast unless you keep your house warm. She needs a consistent temperature especially if she is sick. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but you should start treating her with epsom salt. It sounds like she might have a bacterial infection if you don't visually see anything wrong with her. I would search old threads for the suggested dosage. I get all of my info from reading responses to past threads (primarily from OFL since she knows pretty much everything)!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Epsom salt is not needed. She isn't bloated, correct?
There could be do many things wrong, from her losing her standing with the group to having a medical condition.
I would wait a few days to see if she improves while away from the others. If she does, consider removing her into get own tank to assure her happiness.
Some bettas are fickle and will only eat certain things..
In the mean time, change her qt daily or bi-daily if over a gallon. unless she appears to have fin or scale damage, I would wait on Aq salt. If you feel the need, add 1 tsp pet gallon. If in her cup, add only a few rocks. Do not use for more than ten days.

Keep her in a dark location in the tank, even if it means leaving the lights off. Consider putting a small plant in her qt to hide if you can fit it and she has room to swim. This way she can feel like shes hiding from the others while bobbing in the big tank.

allow her to qt for a week if you can, to assure that if she has a disease of some sort, your big tank will be spared.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

The only reason I would say espom rather than aquarium is because I have had 4 girls with this issue and they all passed. It always started with them hanging back one day and sometimes within 24 hours passing. Whatever it was turned into dropsy because I didn't catch it soon enough. I have read aquarium salt does nothing for dropsy. All the water parameters were correct and everyone got along but one had something that spread to the rest so if anything definitely QT ASAP. It could also be something she had before you bought her and it is just now rearing it head.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Well she gained some of her color back, but is still quite faded in comparison. I was wondering if maybe she lost her standing in the group, or simply because the other females avoid her when she swims around. I held back this morning from adding AQ salt to her cup, mostly because I was running late for school, and am about to treat her with a few rocks. She is not bloated, but I was guessing she wasnt eating the pellets because she looks smaller (but that might just be because the size of the tank makes her look smaller). She ignored the pellets this morning, but ate away at the flakes I gave her. I hope it is simply a matter of being hungry, because then I know what the problem is and know to give her a pinch of flakes rather than crushed pellets like the other girls.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Id stick to doing that for a little bit. I have a feeling its the standing and her taste in noms, though I cant be 100% sure. Sororities are fickle..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #7 
CrowntailxKing

Well, for an update, she has eaten her flakes (as I said before) but now I taped the cup she is in to the inside of the tank. Immediately 3 of the other females come up to...wish her to get well soon because they miss her so much...Im guessing that's what the flaring and nipping at the side of the cup was ;) Anyways, she responded well and almost immediately she gained almost all of her color back and started to flare back. Im keeping her in the cup for a few days until she gets blue and bold again. Probably put her back in Thursday if she is looking a lot better.