Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #11 
tsoto80

The smaller the tank the more water changes you have to do. When I had mine in a one gallon I did 100% every other day.

To clear a few things up yes people keep their bettas in "betta bowls" or vases. These people also did not do water changes like they should have. Yes the betta can survive this way for awhile BUT the ammonia is burning them. They eventualy devolop pop eye, fungus, or other nasty junk then die. People dont look for help until it is too late. It is better to avoid them getting hurt so thats why most of us users perfer the bigger tanks. It is because we want our pets to survive and stay healthy. The info that most people been plauged by is wrong and it got out of control. Think of the bad info like a wild fire. It was never that bettas are NOW starting to get harder to take care of this have been the right info all along and it is hard for people to believe it when the wild fire is still burning.

Hope that made sense!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #12 
mywingedhorses

Don't get frustrated, Firework. It's clear that you're making an effort to help your betta and make his life better. Keep up with the required amount of regular water changes and I'm sure he'll be very happy.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #13 
Firework88

Thanks I Just Did A Full Water Change 2 Days Ago So I Have To Do 100% Water Changes Everyday? Or Every Other Day Will It Be Anybetter In The 2.5 Gallon Tank? How Bout If I Get A Airstone Will That Help? How warm Is to Warm for a betta? Its Between 72-80 now the heater i have now is specially made for bettas so if it gets to warm it turns off to cool down! He is really active! My Name Is Melissa Btw And Bettas Name Is Firework
Firework88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #14 
Firework88

BTW Denaliwind I love your profile pic of your husky! My boyfriend has 2 huskies a red and white 2 year old frosty blue eyed male purebred adopted from shelter last year and a pure white 9 week old female blue eyed husky. Both good dogs but Zoe the puppy is michevious
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #15 
scootshoot

Every other day is fine. Main thing is consistency, don't blow it off cause he looks healthy on a water replacement day and think, ahh I don't feel like changing water today, he looks fine. Water quality tends to spike quick in low volumes. Your betta may look great Sunday evening, healthy, swimming around....then all of a sudden Monday morning he is pale and lethargic.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #16 
xkatieebby

Me rude? I'm just saying the truth, I started out with my betta in a 2 GAL vase(with heater). Did 100& water changes once a week with a 50% in between and was chewed out worse BY PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM. I took the criticism and no one came to my defense. Everyone has yelled at people on here before, I see it all the time on this forum, everyday. 1 GAL is just to small. I could have said it better, but like I said, I was chewed out worse by other "fellow" members on this site.

Last edited by xkatieebby; 03-28-2011 at 01:18 PM.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #17 
mywingedhorses

I knew your name wasn't Firework but it was your username so that's how I addressed the post. An airstone won't help with the water changes because it doesn't have any effect on the ammonia in the tank, which is why you are replacing the water. The ideal temperature for bettas is 76-86 degrees, although some people say it shouldn't fall lower than 78.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #18 
xkatieebby

I should apologize though, and I am sorry.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #19 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Melissa,
It is very easy to get caught up and want more..and more...and more...lol.. of these beauties called Betta. Everyone (well, most everyone) makes mistakes just starting out in the fish hobby/keeping. This is what I would do (especially since you breed birds and have dogs, both of those are responsibilities, as well). Put Firework in the 2.5 gallon and keep him healthy for let's say: 2 or 3 Months or keep him in the 1 gallon and maintain his health for the same amount of time. That way with all of your other responsibilites you will be able to figure out if you can maintain a new addition to your already busy schedule. Just a thought and my 1 or 2 Cents. I have maintained several large tanks at the same time in my life. I still salivate (Drool, big time) after visiting other forums and really, really want to get back into big, large tanks. I know that is not possible not even having the space/room for a 20 gallon. I know my limitations (and truly it is my enemy) right now. So, I am keeping myself happy with a single 10 gallon and a Betta that is taken care of and truly, truly loved.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #20 
Firework88

Yea I Have Only Owned Bettas For 5 Years But Not With A Whole Lot Of experience and i have owned salt water, fresh water and brackish tanks for 8 years and have alot more experience if u asked me questions about certain fish i would know and know how to take care of tanks and now i have 55 gallon fish tank that my boyfriends stupid roomates left behind and i do a 25% water change on it every week then a 50% water change every 2 weeks and that includes vaccuming the gravel! So i don't have a problem about learning more about bettas as i would like to eventually get more and possibly years down the road maybe breed them but i have heard breeding and keeping fry alive is hard so i will just stick to keeping bettas as pets!