Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 
DocnGamz

Curled fins- care question

So in a moment of both pity and weakness, I picked up yet another betta.

I felt so bad for this poor old man. He's a halfmoon, though you couldn't hardly tell by the shape his fins are in. All of them are curled in pretty severely, to the point where it make it really hard for him to swim.

Right now I've got him in a 1/2 gallon critter keeper while I wait for his new tank to get set up. I got him a 5.5 gallon- just a heater (which is what I'm waiting on at this point) and an air pump. No filter, so I'll have to be doing the water changes, but that's fine.

My first question is will this ever get any better? Right now the fins are so bad that he can hardly make it to the surface to breath/eat. Every time I put food in for him, he flails around trying to make it to the top, but the fins are so LARGE and so badly off, that he ends up going lopsided and missing the surface. It usually takes him a few tries just to grab whatever I've put in there for him.

I also have a question about the new setup. The pump I have is really for a 10gal, with the smallest air stone I could find. Its still pretty powerful, though, and creates a decent current. I have it backed up into a corner, behind a large vase-type tank ornament in an attempt to keep it from being too abrasive. Knowing the issue he has with his fins, is this going to be a problem? I don't want to make things even harder for him, but I'm wondering if this might not actually help him out a little bit, by forcing him to swim around in it and build up strength?

I have no idea, you guys are the experts! Any help would be appreciated.
DocnGamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

First thing, you do not, not, need an air pump nor stone for a betta. Actually, unless the fish enjoys swimming through the bubbles, I do not recommend one, because they HATE strong currents, especially ones that slosh around the water at the top of the tank. They *need a heater, always- and Im concerned about your QT tank for not having one. What is the temp in that?

Also, it is very hard to gauge what could be wrong with his fins by discription alone. If you can give us a picture, that would make this much easier.
There can be two main things wrong:
Sometimes, when water is really really really hard, it can curl fins. This is mostly noticeable in CT's, but Ive seen it in other fish. It can also be from injury where the fins have healed in onto themselves. This is good and bad- but there is a possiblity of the fins never seperating from eachother. I had a fish that had this happen, and then randomly one day they'd come apart, safe and sound and healed. Odd, right?
I would, without being able to see him yet, lower his water level to where he is covered fully (a few inches) so he can much more easily get to the surface. Try, if he will let you, to feed him via your finger- I know, weird, but taking a pellet and putting it at the end of your finger will allow him to find it easier and it will keep the pellet in place so he wont need to thrst after it, which might knock it out of the way.
Please make sure your hands are very clean before doing this, but do not wash them with soap, etc, only very very very hot water.
We'll be able to help more, Id think, if we had a picture of him or at least a googled image that is similar to reference. I hope things work out well for you both and that someone can help once we see him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocnGamz View Post
So in a moment of both pity and weakness, I picked up yet another betta.

I felt so bad for this poor old man. He's a halfmoon, though you couldn't hardly tell by the shape his fins are in. All of them are curled in pretty severely, to the point where it make it really hard for him to swim.

Right now I've got him in a 1/2 gallon critter keeper while I wait for his new tank to get set up. I got him a 5.5 gallon- just a heater (which is what I'm waiting on at this point) and an air pump. No filter, so I'll have to be doing the water changes, but that's fine.

My first question is will this ever get any better? Right now the fins are so bad that he can hardly make it to the surface to breath/eat. Every time I put food in for him, he flails around trying to make it to the top, but the fins are so LARGE and so badly off, that he ends up going lopsided and missing the surface. It usually takes him a few tries just to grab whatever I've put in there for him.

I also have a question about the new setup. The pump I have is really for a 10gal, with the smallest air stone I could find. Its still pretty powerful, though, and creates a decent current. I have it backed up into a corner, behind a large vase-type tank ornament in an attempt to keep it from being too abrasive. Knowing the issue he has with his fins, is this going to be a problem? I don't want to make things even harder for him, but I'm wondering if this might not actually help him out a little bit, by forcing him to swim around in it and build up strength?

I have no idea, you guys are the experts! Any help would be appreciated.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3 
DocnGamz

Sorry, yes, here are some pictures I took when I first picked him up:

I brought him home about a week ago, and finally got around to setting up the tank yesterday. I've had the heater in the new tank adjusting since last night, and its finally staying at 78. I'll remove the air pump if that's best.

Temp in the QT is 72, which is room temp.

The dorsal fin just stays lopped over like that, and the tips all curl inward. He's not lethargic, he certainly tries to swim up an eat/etc, he just has a very difficult time doing it.

As for hand feeding him, I don't think he'll go for it. He's still very skittish, freaks out just by opening the lid to the keeper during feeding.

Edit- opps, forget to mention, water hardness here is somewhere between 75-150 (used a test strip, so its not super accurate)

Last edited by DocnGamz; 03-28-2011 at 05:33 PM.
DocnGamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

I'll Have to look into of thats very hard or not..
I've seen fins like that before, though never heard of them impairing his swimming ability... I guess just do as stated, and keep him in the qt with enough water to cover him and help him eat, bob the whole container in the big tank to keep it heated, change the water daily and make sure he is properly acclimated, since 100% changes are a big change. secure the qt so it won't move or sink.
Other than that, I'm very uncertain :c I apologize, I've just never seen it before like this.
,Oh and for feeding, keep the level low so its easier or put him back in his cup to do it.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks like someone curled his fins with a curling iron.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote