Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Treating rescue females...

So I aquired 3 resue female bettas yesterday as some of you may already know. They came out of a huge horribly mixed tank that a friend of mine owns and they were mixed in with tiger barbs, lobster, frogs, newts, tetras, and angels, to name a few...

All 3 of them seem to be OKAY but not 100%, I suspect at least 1 of them has finrot, maybe more.. some have little nips taken out of their fins and a few damaged scales and one (who i think has the finrot) also has a strage white/cream colored patch on her head. It doesn't look "fuzzy" per-say though, but it's weird.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I have both AQ salt (well, kosher salt) and Epsom salt (i know I wont need that for right now..)

Should I start treatment or just keep a close eye on them for now? I have not had them for even 24 hours yet, but they have colored up, which is the only difference I have seen.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
fleetfish

I'd keep them quarantined with a little bit ot AQ salt, some heat and water changes every other day (just to make sure!) for a week or so. If any of them show existant illness, then I'd treat. If you can find some IAL or black water extract, it never hurts to add some. Excellent job on rescuing the little gals, can't wait to see pics :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i'd treat them with the aquarium salt anyways. it'll be good for them, and will help to keep the bites from getting infected, given the amount of fish they were living with. keep their bowls covered, and get some IAL if you can. it'll help relax them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Ok.
I will start the treatment on Ariadne when I get home from work for sure since she has it the worst of the 3 (dark edged fins which i am pretty sure is finrot, not her coloring) and a white patch on her spine/head area.. again, could just be her, but not going to take any chances.

I'll keep an eye on the other two (obvvviously, spend too much time staring at them whether they are sick or not lol) and start treatment, if needed, on them as well.

So attached already it's pathetic. They are definatly not the cutest girls, they came from a lower end petstore that I have never been to myself, but they have the sweetest little personalities ever.
Before this happened I was planning on getting another male ONEDAY, but that isn't going to happen now (or at least for a long time, which is exactly what i said after i got lenymo 3 weeks ago, but rescues do not count as impulse buys! i had to take them in, poor things would have been killed for sure, and as of about an hour ago that same guy who i took them from went and got a guppy, which was immediatly torn to pieces by his tiger barbs.... i told him he needs to STOP BUYING FISH and i think he finally might get the picture after firsthand seeing what happens when you mix all kinds of random animals together.... sigh, at least my 3 are safe)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i think all bettas are beautiful, and all females are cute. :3

yeah, the barbs alone are horrid little critters, but the angel is something else. >.> i didn't know this, but they're Cichlids, and we all know how those can be. o3o
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
peachesxo

I think they are super cute too =3
Mostlllyyy Rosalind lol
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #7 
Luimeril

do you have pics of them all? :d

if i had money and room, i'd adopt one of them. i fell hard for females, after having Caroline at my desk with me, so i've a soft spot for girlies. if mom wasn't gonna put her male CT in the 10, i'd start a sorority. just need two more girls. xD
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #8 
peachesxo

not really, my camera is just horrible because it's on my old old cell phone.
i'm getting a digital camera for my birthday though and that's a week tomorrow so i should have some high quality ones soon !!

ill try to take some on my phone when i get home, but they rarely turn out good.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #9 
Luimeril

can't wait to see them@
Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

"i didn't know this, but they're Cichlids, and we all know how those can be."

Angels are South American Cichlids and while they CAN be somewhat aggressive at times, they are NOTHING like African Cichlids can get. I own both - in different tanks, of course - and the Angels are, well, angels compared to the big Africans.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote