Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #1 
TheKzv

Heaters and Filters??

I was looking to buy a heater and a filter for my 5 gallon i currently
have. It was an old tank that i found, so i threw out everything
everything that came along with it.

Has anyone used the Fluval Edge 25w heater?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Fish+Heating

or an Elite mini heater (pre-set)??

For the filter i was thinking about getting the Tom aquarium Mini Filter.

any info or suggested items would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

I don't think it was smart to throw all the stuff away. Most of the time it wont just stop working. I use some of my dads heaters and one filter that are 40 years old and they do better than new stuff!!
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #3 
TheKzv

i had to throw them away b/c everything except the tank was cracked
or torn into pieces :(
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Either 25 Watt heater will work in your 5 gallon. I am not a fan of pre-set heaters. As, I have found there are instances that usually come up where heater adjustment-re-adjustment of temperatures are required (Winter, Summer, Parasites, Treatments, etc). Don't quote me on this: but, I am thinking that the Elite 25 Watt is adjustable and not a pre-set heater. Hopefully, someone will come along and verify that information for you.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

If this is the 25 watt Elite you're looking at, it is adjustable. I agree that it is definitely worth it to get an adjustable heater; they are so much more consistent, and I love being able to control the temperature if need be. I wasted money on all kinds of preset heaters until I got Marineland and Elite adjustables for my small tanks; I'm so happy with the heaters I have now.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #6 
TheKzv

yea that's the one :) i was reading about the preset heaters and they kind of scare me now lol but i'm glad to know that it's adjustable. thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Hagen Elite heaters are excellent heaters. I know a few people that have them. I just don't know anyone personally that has one of their 25 Watt heaters. But, that information was just verified for you by LolaQuigs. Fluval products are excellent, as well. I am just not a fan of pre-set heaters. I have a Fluval 50 Watt heater in my 10 gallon. I also have a Fluval 100 Watt heater for my 10 gallon. To be placed into the 10 gallon during January and February when it gets extremely cold where I live. This is because the ambient temperature of my residence is several Degrees lower than tank requirements. For your 5 gallon tank, I wouldn't go more than 25 Watt for any reason.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #8 
Emmalea

I have the 2 of the Elite 25, it works great and I would totally recommend it! I also have a Topfin 25 as well and it is also really good, though I like the Elite better since the Topfin looks kind of large in my smaller tanks.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote