Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
ShortSwimmer

Overreactions

So, I was given the betta Ahoti (named yesterday) just two days ago. Since my most recent betta fared rather poorly, I kept a very careful eye on this one in the hopes of catching any potential problems quickly. From the very first day, I saw a bump on his body that is near his caudal fin, more prominent on the one side than the other. I automatically assumed that he might have some horrid disease or something, only to do a bit more research today and discover something that makes me feel right foolish:

Most bettas have a noticeable swim bladder.

Not only that, but Ahoti has been perfectly fine over these past few days, so his swim bladder clearly doesn't have a problem. I suppose that because most bettas I've had in the past were darker, I just never noticed any bump they might've had due to their swim bladder.

Although I'm glad I have nothing to worry about, I do feel a tad silly fretting over nothing to begin with. So, what I want to ask of my fellow betta lovers is what overreaction stories do they have to share? I'm sure I can't be the only one that has thought the worst when there apparently wasn't a need. :)
ShortSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #2 
Luimeril

whenever i get a new boy or girl, i freak out over every little thing. xD i keep the recipt, and ask on forums about every little thing that may be something wrong with him/her. when i got Theo, i freaked out over how wide he opens his gills when he breaths from the surface. it's almost like he's flaring at the air! but, that can be explained by his poor eye site. he may be trying to intimidate anything that may harm him while he's vulnerable.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 
fleetfish

I can deal with SBD, tumours, velvet, ich, parasites and whatever other nasty thing comes my way ... dropsy though, scares me to death. And nasty infected popeye. I do keep an eye on newbies though. My newest boy Sakura has had, in the past, some mighty bad fin tears. Half of his tail is still growing in. Unless he gets an infection or finrot, I'm not worried about him. I keep all receipts too, just in case.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #4 
TheKzv

i've had a some major freakouts the past few days lol

1. My betta (Musiq) was laying at the bottom of the tank rocking side to side
from the water current and he didn't move at all. I was devastated b/c
i only had him for 4-5 days. I researched till 5am every night but still couldn't
find what was wrong with him, until........... i found out that bettas sleep.....
(facepalm)..... it all made since to me b/c everytime i bothered him to see if he was still alive,
he'd giveme a grumpy face like he was saying " why did you wake me up?" lol

Another one was when I also got my other betta (Acoustic, I got him from my dad).
He had really big eyes so i thought he was infected with popeye.
I gave my dad a long lecture about he was wasn't taking care of Acoustic good enough.
I researched about popeye, and carefully watch Acoustic for a couple of nights.
Finally after 3-5 days I came to the conclusion that he has big eyes lol
After lecturing my dad, he ask about Acoustic all the time now, i kind of feel embarrass about giving him a lecture
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #5 
kathstew

LOL. Overreactions are a part of being a fishy parent XD I've had my share of overreactions, believe me!

I thought my girl Ocean was Pregnant, then found out fish can't be pregnant XD. I thought my fish had ammonia poisoning...she just has a funny coloured face XD.

Good luck with your betta and welcome to the forum!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 
Corpse

When I first received Mistress she almost gave me a heart attack because of the way she slept on the bottom of her tank. She would lay as if she was dead and it worried me for a long while because I thought that she was becoming ill. Someone eventually helped me and let me know that some bettas will sleep like that. I felt like an idiot after that, but it's not a crime to worry about your baby is it?
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote