Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #1 
Newtonbetta

Betta with either injury or fungus on head

I'm having trouble with both my bettas. 10gal, 80F, filtered, divided tank. Weekly water changes.

They both have these "injuries" on their heads between their eyes. The picture below is the worse of the two. Nothing has changed to the tank in months except I added a snail to each of their sides yesterday. They have nipped at the snails here and there, and I doubt that there's any cause there. Is this ripped off scales or is it fungus? He is still active and eating.

Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

It doesn't appear to be fuzzy so I would think it is an injury. Do you have some aquarium salt? I would move them each into a cup that you can float in the tank and begin treating. This will prevent the spread of any type of infection and should speed up recovery. Just follow the dosage on the package. Also do not treat for more than 10 days. Change Water in the cup 100% each day. You should see some improvement in a couple of days if this is really the issue.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 
Newtonbetta

The opening to the snails shell is extremely sharp. I'm wonder if he scratched himself trying to eat the snail's flesh.

I added 2 TBS of aquarium salt to the ten-gallon tank.
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

The best thing to do is make sure the water is pristine, and heated. I'm not sure what those are -- it almost looks like lymphocystis but hopefully that's not it. It could just be an injury and chances are clean water and some TLC will greatly improve it. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote