Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
iheartmybettas

Twitchy VT

I just go a yellow with purple VT yesterday from Walmart. I was looking at him today and every now and then he twitches. Should I be worried??

He is in a 3 gallon hex with a whisper filter and heater. The water is 79 degrees. I used Prime in the water. He is eating fine and seems normal other than that. He even has some bubbles lining the edges. I just to male sure nothing weird is going on. My husband said maybe he is just dumb. :( not nice!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Anyone?

I guess I will just assume he is ok unless I begin to see other signs of something weird going on.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

It sounds like he could have the start of a parasite. I'd dose his water with 1 tsp of Aqua salt per gallon, and raise the temp to 82*.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I believe I have read on here from other users that twitching can be a sign on parasites or irritation.

When my fish were twitching it was a sure sign on irritation as the tank I had them in was bought used and I believe someone must have stored something in it or washed it wrong. I took them out and they are ok now (no more twitchy seizure things). I would keep an eye on him and watch for anything else. Not sure what else to suggest, I hope someone can come along with a better answer. I would keep his light off so he can relax for a little bit and maybe add a bit of IAL if you have it on hand.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

Thanks for the replies!!

He isn't twitching constantly. It's like it just happens every now and then. It was weird. I saw it last night and then possibly a mild twitch this morning. Last night it was like he skipped to the back of the tank rather than swam. I don't know how to describe it. Then he was fine. I haven't ever seen anything like it before.

I'll wait another day and maybe use some aquarium salt if it seems like he is still doing it!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

It doesn't have to be "all the time" for it to be parasites. I would start the salt NOW so he doesn't have to suffer for very long. It won't hurt him if he doesn't have them, but not starting it now could make it take longer to cure if he does have parasites.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
It doesn't have to be "all the time" for it to be parasites. I would start the salt NOW so he doesn't have to suffer for very long. It won't hurt him if he doesn't have them, but not starting it now could make it take longer to cure if he does have parasites.
I understand. I will start the treatment when I get home. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Good. I hope he gets well soon!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 
iheartmybettas

Thanks again Sweeda! I hope he gets better too!

You know I have a lot of bettas and I can do fungus and torn fins but the internal parasites are not my strong point. I treated one of my bettas about 2 weeks ago for parasites as that is the only thing I could narrow it down to. It just didn't help at all and he passed. I may have figured it out too late. It really damaged my fishy nurse confidence! Other than that I haven't really had to deal with illness much in my males (my sorority on the other hand not so lucky). Just a lot of water changing!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Oh, I think it's EXTERNAL parasites. I know the twitching was what Blush had just before she started showing ich spots.