Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 
peachesxo

He-She Fish...

Okay... So I started to suspect that Ariadane, one of my rescue "girls" is really a plakat male...

She is WAY bigger than the other two females...
She flares like a MAN...
And when I got home she had a bubble nest in her bowl...

Since these are RESCUE bettas, they all have some fin damage/rot and Ariadne has it the worst out of the 3, so it is very possible she is a boy, not even necessarily a Plakat because I don't really know what her true fins should look like yet.

Anyways, here is a picture...
What do you all think?

Camera is horrible but my dad got me one for my birthday which I will be getting from him in the next few days so my horrid quality pictures are at their end!!!!!
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 
TheKingsFish

I've had this problem with 4 "females" now.

Have you tested how she reacts with a mirror?
Is everyone in quarantine or do you have them together?
Have you checked for an ovipositor?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Oviposter does not always indicate male or female... some males can have them. It looks like a female though, OP :) The ventral fins are tiny, while male ones are longer ones, even HMPK's. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 
peachesxo

They are all by themselves in their own bowls as there is only 3 of them and I would not risk such a small number in a sorority.
I am doing treatment on all of them in their bowls (no QT cup since i need to do regular water changes anyways)

Can't see any "egg sac" type thing but this is the first time i have had females so whooo knows lol
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Oviposter does not always indicate male or female... some males can have them. It looks like a female though, OP :) The ventral fins are tiny, while male ones are longer ones, even HMPK's. :D
Her fins are somewhat ripped up and possibly rotting though...
She only has half of her left little flapper up front and a white patch of skin, they all have damaged fins and scales..

So this isn't her "true" finnage I don't believe..
I just got them on Sunday, idiot friend threw all 3 into a tank full of barbs, angels, lobsters, frogs, newts, guppies, tetras, ect.... I had a flipout and threatened to ruin the rest of his life until he gave me them... lol
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
They are all by themselves in their own bowls as there is only 3 of them and I would not risk such a small number in a sorority.
i have 7 ladies, 3 in one 5 gal and 4 in the other. no problems cept i THINK cinder may actually be a him but im still watching closely
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 
peachesxo

Hmm.. I have always heard 5+ females in a sorority is the best/minimum, mostly on this thread. If that's working for you cool but I don't think I'd risk it plus my 2 boys are taking up my 2 10 gallons, and even if Ariadne is a girl, she is huuge and could total the other two pretty easily, she is like 3x the size of them lol
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #8 
TheKingsFish

Keep and eye on him/her until the healing process is done. How are you treating the fin rot?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 
peachesxo

there was some dark edging which i think could be the beginning stages of fin rot.. they also all have nipped fins and some scale damage, doing 1 tsp/gallon of kosher salt with daily water changes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #10 
peachesxo

edit: Ariadne, the one this thread was originally about, also has this white patch on her head though and it just doesnt seem normal to me, it's not "fuzzy" looking or anything, but its not natural looking either. on top of the semi-fin rot // hurt fins and scales that all of them have at the moment.
pretty much i started treatment on them yesterday because i want to be safe rather than sorry, they weren't in awful shape when i got them, but they weren't in good shape either. (pretty much forced my friend to surrender them to me after he had bought them and thrown them into a death trap of a community tank, they were in there maybe 2 hours before he finally gave in and brought them over to me while i was in panic mode at the LFS buying 3 rush set-ups)

they look like different fish already just from coloring up so much and de-stressing over the past 2 days but theres some tlc needed for sure still..

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.