Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #1 
Harley

Question Harleys ramming/bumping...

My Betta Harley recently got a new home (10g, heater, filter, decorations, etc). He's currently suffering from fin rot and the water chem is good. Aquarium salt is being added for the fin rot.

He's been in his new tank about 4 days. Its taken him a while to get used to it I think, but for the most part he got more mobile yesterday afternoon. When I got up this morning, I noticed he was ramming and bumping the side of the tank presumably after he sees his reflection. At Petsmart I've seen fish "wallpaper" for the tank back (not sure if it does sides too). Is this a worthwhile investment to help him stop ramming the tank/reduce the reflection, or should I even worry about it? I do have a birthday card I got on that side of the tank but it was on the back of the tank before I moved it and he didn't ram there, and beside his old bowls (1 gallon bowl traditional style a 1 gallon round bowl) the card was there with no problems. I just don't want him to get a concussion I've heard of other fish doing it on here but when is it too much?

Last edited by Harley; 03-29-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

The walpaper won't solve your problem unless is a very light color.
The only way to avoid the glass to make a reflexion is to turn off your tank light when the room light is off. If the tank is brighter than the room it is in, there will be a reflexion.
They should only flare a few minutes a day, more than that and it might actually prevent your fish from healing as it will stress him out too much and might lower their immune system (or so they say).
Some fish can handle a bit more flaring during the day, but others are too easily stressed.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #3 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
The walpaper won't solve your problem unless is a very light color.
The only way to avoid the glass to make a reflexion is to turn off your tank light when the room light is off. If the tank is brighter than the room it is in, there will be a reflexion.
They should only flare a few minutes a day, more than that and it might actually prevent your fish from healing as it will stress him out too much and might lower their immune system (or so they say).
Some fish can handle a bit more flaring during the day, but others are too easily stressed.
Thanks. He was definitely flaring while doing it. For the time I watched him, 2-3 minutes, he was doing it constantly. I'll try to keep the light off during the day. So when, if ever, should I use the light? Like I said its not very dark but its not well lit either in my house during the day. I work nights so depending on whether or not I'm home, the lights might be on. I just want to try and get him into some sort of day-night routine. That's important right?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote