Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 
newbie32

Question 10 Gal Tankmates for King Fishy?

Specs: 10 gal, heater set at 78, filter, two plastic plants, 1 castle and some gravel, using tap water with water conditioner, incandescent lighting (I am considering changing the bulb so that I may have live potted plants).

I have done a little research and found that some fish can be put with male bettas. My guy, King Fishy seems a little shy. He hides a lot and doesn't really care too much if I'm around. Personality thing, but I dig it. He does attack his reflection quite a bit though and often perches himself so that he can just stare at his reflection from afar.

I found an aquarium calculator and it said that I could add 3 mollies, 1 mystery snail and 1 african dwarf frog. My filtration would be at 101% and the stocking at 94%.

I think the dwarf frog is going to be more work to feed than I want to put forth. What does everyone else think?

Next, do these additions sound like they are a good idea with a male betta? I know his own personality plays a part, but in general and with the details given, do you think it's reasonable?

Finally, when should I add the fish and how many at a time? I don't want to hurt any little fishies in the making of this community! I should mention that King Fishy has been in his 10 gal for a week and I am cycling it. I think that's how you term that? I am a novice to fish, if you couldn't tell!

Thanks in advance for the help!!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #2 
Cassandra90

Well I have not had that much experience with mollies. I am assuming they should be fine.
But I find that alot of members on this site reccomends cory cats to add with bettas, they are bottom dwellers. I personally own 9 between my ten gallon and 55 gallon.

ADF's can be a hassle. I have had feeding problems since they compete with the betta.

Your best luck is with the cory cats, and a snail. I was reccomended by my local aquarium store to only add 3 fish at time. You do not want to shock the other fish and water.

Hopefully someone will have information on mollies.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 
YoshesMom

Mollies depending on the type can be very fancy/showy which would seem like a challenge to your betta and he would feel the need to attack them I wouldnt personally house mollies with bettas because A: Mollies are pigs B: In higher heat like bettas prefer mollies will reproduce like rabbits and they are live bearers so you will have tiny little ones all over! I have some tetra in with one of my betta but most have cory or otto with them if you want to go down the tetra line remember there a schooling fish 5 ish is good and stick to the less aggressive tetra like black skirts or harlequin or even neons!
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Personally, I can't STAND mollies - had some gang up on a LARGE female angel fish once and kill her. :(

I would go with cories, as stated, and/or harlequin rasboras. Very pretty fish in a subtle kind of way, too large for the betta to eat, calm and non-aggressive.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #5 
Irish Dancing Man

Albino (or not albino) corydora catfish are GREAT with bettas, I also used to have otocinclus with my betta.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

I love my cories; they are very peaceful fish, and very cute!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

I have 8 Harlequin Rasbora's in my 10gal. My betta just swims with them and hangs out in the middle of their school, then they take turns chasing each other!
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 
newbie32

Very interesting. Thanks for the recommendations! What do you all think of guppies or platties? Too betta-like to be in there?

Anyone have any comments on a mystery snail? Are they easy to care for? Get along with bettas generally?
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

He will attack male guppies because of the guppy's colorful tail - mistaking it for another betta.

From what I have heard, platies can be hit or miss.

Mystery snail? It's a mystery to me - LOL!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #10 
Cassandra90

Mystery snails are easy to care for. I usually feed mine algea waffers. Your betta might pick on the snail a bit.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote