Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #1 
Waylander

A few questions! >_>

Alright, I'm not going to beat around the bush so to speak. I love my Betta, Gus or King Gus as I've come to know him. I'm so happy with the way this has all turned out that I am looking to purchase a 6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Aquarium in the near future to house my little man. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I was thinking of live plants and a sandy substrate but I'm undecided.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #2 
denaliwind

Ooh that's exciting! :D Gus will be one lucky little guy. ^^ (BTW I love Gus from Cinderella XD) Anywho... I would just recommend lots of plants, all shapes and sizes, some to rest on, swim under, hide behind... etc. I have anubis, java moss, marimo balls and amazon swords, all of which I recommend and seem to be really easy to care for... I'm saying this because, well, they're still alive, lol. I really like how clean and easy to install the anubis are, you can put them practically anywhere, even tie them to drift wood and such. Marimo balls are super easy, just plop them in anywhere, no installation necessary! :P The amazon sword seem a little more fragile and I'm always nervous about them croaking one day, but they're still alive, haha. Java moss reminds me of a bad hair day, but it's really good stuff and also easy to care for, you can tie it to decor and eventually it will latch on to it and can grow like crazy. I'm no plant expert, but that's my experience.I think some floating plants would be really nice and you might want to consider some too, like frogbit.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #3 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Hopefully, Demonr6 will come along and help you out. That person has a 6.6 Bookshelf planted tank. You would be able to get ideas on substrate, plants, etc. You could also send a Private Message to Demonr6. The Demonr6 Thread showing pictures of the 6.6 Planted tank is listed under: New Tank Spam.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 
Waylander

Awesome, thank you!
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Ooh that's exciting! :D Gus will be one lucky little guy. ^^ (BTW I love Gus from Cinderella XD) Anywho... I would just recommend lots of plants, all shapes and sizes, some to rest on, swim under, hide behind... etc. I have anubis, java moss, marimo balls and amazon swords, all of which I recommend and seem to be really easy to care for... I'm saying this because, well, they're still alive, lol. I really like how clean and easy to install the anubis are, you can put them practically anywhere, even tie them to drift wood and such. Marimo balls are super easy, just plop them in anywhere, no installation necessary! :P The amazon sword seem a little more fragile and I'm always nervous about them croaking one day, but they're still alive, haha. Java moss reminds me of a bad hair day, but it's really good stuff and also easy to care for, you can tie it to decor and eventually it will latch on to it and can grow like crazy. I'm no plant expert, but that's my experience.I think some floating plants would be really nice and you might want to consider some too, like frogbit.
Sorry to hijack the thread here, i bought 2 amazon swords and i was wondering if i have to do anything particular to look after them? I basically stuck their roots under the gravel when i filled the tank and have just left them. Is this enough?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I prefer sand substrate, but that is just my personal preference.I believe it is easier to clean. Anything that falls to the bottom of my tank can easily be picked up with a bulb syringe/turkey baster thing during water changes.

The first time around I bought the sand substrate from petco..it was about 5.99 for enough to do my 5 gallon..When I updated to my 10 gallon I used playsand from home depot..It was about 2 dollars for a huge bag..I have redone my 5 gallon and 10 gallon with the same bag of sand..as well as my 2.5 gallon and I still have leftover sand to do my other 10 gallon.
Works lovely for 2 dollars.

Anubias are really hardy plants. They are slow growers and my betta fish love the wide leaves to rest on. Wisteria is also lovely. I have some java moss and I think it looks really nice attached to rocks throughout the tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote