Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #1 
MsAqua

Good Heaters?

Alrighty. I have a 10 gallon tank, a 1.5 gallon tank, and a 1 gallon tank. I have a Tetra Heater 5-15 gal in the 10 gallon. You can't adjust the heat on it but it has kept the tank at a steady 78 degrees. Since I never have a whole lot of money to spend, I try to stay cheap without getting pieces of junk. This one has been working out so far. But I was curious what heaters everyone else uses that work well.
I also want to look into small heaters for the small tanks. But I'm unsure what sort of heaters to look into that would be alright to use. I don't know how cold it will get in the house we're in and I would feel really bad not having heaters for my boys.
Petsmart had one for 5 gallons and under that was small and could fit into the tanks but they were like $15 a piece. Which is what I paid for the 10 gallon tank.
Any recommendations on small heaters?
MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 
Niece

I have the hydor theo 25w it's adjustable and I like it a lot. Money is an issue with me and I think I paid around 31 bucks for 2 of them.

Oh I forgot to add I also use them for smaller tanks so they would be a good size. =]
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You got lucky. Your non-adjustable keeps the right temp in that tank.You can't always rely on that, so most of us use adjustable heaters. This is especially important in small tanks.

I second Niece's suggestion.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B0006JLPG8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_3"]Amazon.com: Hydor 25W Submersible Aquarium Heater - Original Theo: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Heater prices have gone up. This is about as good as you're going to get for the price.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
Niece

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11368

I got mine from here for 15.99
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You can get apparently pretty good adjustable 25w heaters from eBay for 5$. I plan on ordering one and testing it out, seeing as they're cheap and I have heard good things about them.

I also like aquatop heaters. I got a couple 75w on amazon a few months ago for 14$ each and they work very well.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #6 
hollyk

I have this one and I like it. It's adjustable and working well for me. I have 3 of them in separate tanks, and they're all good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought mine a couple weeks about for about $5 or $6 each. They were still that price yesterday, and now they're at $11.49. So you might want to keep an eye on the price if you're interested, in case it goes down again. Prices on amazon.com can bounce around pretty quickly
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #7 
NozzALa

The Hydor theo is very good. Adjustable and heats well, I've had mine for three or four months and it's worked great. Keeps my tank at about 80-82 degrees constantly.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 
kyle89

I had a hydro 25w and swore by it till it went an baked my girlfriends Betta :( I had a hydro 50w I got on sale for when we get a 10 gallon. We finally got a 10 an I was happy with it until today. I have a glass thermometer and a digital one. Today when we left it was 78 an the heater was at 80.I was bhappy it was where I wanted it. Got home tonight an it was up to 83. Turned in down an a few hours later it went down a little. May be looking into a new brand
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

@Hollyk,

That doesn't look like a submersible heater. I've found heaters work better installed near the bottom of the tank. I put mine in horizontally.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote