Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good idea to buy two.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #22 
turtle10

New dilemma:

So it isn't for sure that we are moving into our house at the end of April, it could be up to late May.

Would it be super irresponsible to breed them only to have to move the fry 2-3 weeks later or something? I have been reading up and it seems it would be okay as long as precautions are taken.

My plan would be to drain the tub as low as possible and then have the movers VERY gently carry it down to the suburban. They would have a heater and an airstone set on low with lots and lots of plants and moss so they don't bang around as much. Also, I live in an area where I can go super slow and just have the cars go around me. Once at home, I would refill the tub with the original water and then over a slow process drip-acclimate them to the new water. It is only five minutes away, but I don't want to take chances with water differences.

Would this be okay? Or is it really stupid?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #23 
turtle10

Bump?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #24 
Dragonlady

Moving betta fry at 2-3 weeks old should not be a problem if you do it right.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #25 
turtle10

Okay great. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope the movers will be careful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #27 
turtle10

I will be watching them all the way down the stairs. And then I will drive them myself in our suburban. So the movers will really only be handling them for about two minutes. I read on some website that it is a good idea to have a cup of water in the front of the car with you so you can get an idea of how much the water sloshes, so I am going to do that too.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #28 
turtle10

Females have arrived safe and sound! No pics yet, sorry lol. But soon! She ended up giving me two extra marbles, which I am super excited about! They have all been acclimated into the sorority, except for the green metallic female. She is in her own 2.5 so she can get ready to make babies!

My question is, should I wait the full two weeks? She was very "eggy" when she got here, and displayed her breeding stripes almost right away. Bellino is already almost conditioned, as I have been feeding him his normal pellets (tropical and betta formula), plus frozen brine shrimp, blackworms, and white worms for about a week. Do you think it would be okay if I waited just a week? I have whiteworms, blackworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis, and frozen bbs available for conditioning.

Here is a pic of the spawning tank:

It is a food/people/animal-safe container. I bought it at the container store, it was made for dog food storage and said BPA free and FDA approved, so that sounded good to me lol.

There is about 5-7 gallons in it right now, with two tiny ramshorn snails (is this okay?). Temp at 78, with a few sprigs of anacharis and hornwort, some moss, and an anubias attached to a rock. The bubbler won't be there during spawning btw, and I have a sponge filter currently cycling in the sorority.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #29 
1fish2fish

You can spawn them immediately if you want. Most breeders keep their fish in top condition so she's probably ready to go so as soon as you feel your male is ready you can set them up.

Spawning tank looks fine. They should have plenty of space to get away from each other in there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #30 
turtle10

OOh exciting! I think I will set them up tomorrow!

On a semi-related note, I went by whole foods and got 20 containers for separating the fry. They are the plastic, clear, food containers that come in different sizes, but I got the 4 quart ones.. They are probably about a quarter gallon? Are these big enough to "jar" them? I also got the lids to punch air holes in so I can raise the water almost to the top.